Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any 159/brera owners experienced the problem of creaking vents?

It seems to be coming from the ones closest to the windscreen for de-misting.
The problem is most worst as you start the car and get the heating up to temp. My guess is that the plastic is expanding as it heats up but its getting quite annoying now. I'm aware of a few posts that say the windscreen creaks but this is defo the vents.

Is there a way to remedy this or have i just got to put up with it?:cry:

All feedback is greatly received. :thumbs:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Or try cleaner like mr sheen spray if you dont want to use silicon spray inside the car ... I have same issue ...its a mixture of windscreen creak and the vents ... the silicon or sheen spray resolve it for a while

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps. i will try that but as you've both said it won't fully go away. suppose i will just have to put up with it! :confused:

maybe if the vents popped out then the replacements might solve it. Then again it might be a case of taking the dash out and they pop out backwards! Not trying that one. haha:tut:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had the same problem when I first had the car. It was worse when the heating was warming up from cold, rapidly. That said, it appears to have sorted itself out. I wonder if its alignment of the system parts, and when they naturally find their correct position it settles down. :confused:

That said, its just my experience on my car. Could be different on others. :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
creaking dash vents

I have the same problem, tried silicon, even sent it into dealer for them to have a look at, got it back exactly the same. Only have a short drive to work, doing my nut in seems as if my 159 just creaks everytime I drive her. grrrr

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got this problem on my Brera. What exactly do I need to do with the silicon spray/sheen? Just spray it in and around the vents? Must be worth a try, even if it is only a temporary solution!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think you'll need a nozel with a straw and concentrate the silicone around the edges of where it fits in place. give it a couple of squirts and see how it is. Other than that i don't think there is much else you can do. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
creaking dash vents

If using silicon i would shield the windscreen as best you can. You dont want that stuff on you screen. i used a big piece of cardboard. i simply sprayed the silicon in to the air vents. i also used a wide bladed screwdrived to prise the actual vents way from the dash, be very careful not to damage anything the soft feel dash is very delicate. Its a little better but by no means a cure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks garyGT. The cardboard sounds like a good idea! It must be the plastic. As the temp rises when you put the blowers on, the plastic must expand slightly. I'm yet to try this as i've been busy with other things but when i get round to it i'll let you know how i get on.

Until then it's just creak creak creak.

Ps i wonder if you can pull the vents out and inspect them? Maybe then you can get more coverage of the silicone around it etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
creaking dash vents

its defo the type of plastic alfa use, its like the rustle made from the inlay in biscuit tins. :) i can also cause the same noise if i push the top of the clock binacle. Weird my 2008 lusso had no such problem ? will have another look myself when the weather sorts itself out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts