Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALFA GT CLUTCH PEDAL LINKAGE NOISE,

Hi have tried wd40, chain lube ETC but ive got a terrible creaking linkage on the clutch pedal. EVERY time i push down on the clutch pedal it makes a bloody racket !

seems ...to be from the small bronze ? roller being slightly offcentred ..... i think ! :confused:

any ideas please ? is it common ? thanks in advance !

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Yes, it's fairly common, a few people have fixed theirs with white lithium grease sprayed on the pushrod and under the little rubber boot.

I had this on mine, and grease couldn't quieten it, although shortly after my master cylinder gave up the ghost, possibly because of the greasing, or maybe the noise is a symptom?

The location and off centre force acting on the master cylinder pushrod means they're not as long lasting as they could/should be, you should also check the retaining pin keeping the pedal and pushrod together as it's a known recall, being a 2006 model means you might be ok. This had a tendency to snap, leaving you with no clutch at all.

Anyway, I digress, I replaced my master cylinder and no more squeaks!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I was told by my trusted indie if you remove the spring, clean and regrease it often cures the creak. Can't verify this though as I haven't tried it on mine which creaks intermittently . . . .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Using WD40 or even white spray grease only cured mine for a few weeks and then it came back. Finally tried red grease (the sort used on brake calipers) months ago and it has never come back. You need to get it onto the pushrod past the rubber boot.....being a contortionist helps!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies ! really appreciated ! will take it apart and strip out pushrod and boot and grease linkage . Bloody driver seat springng squeaks on front left side an all now ! ho hum . my fat arse probably !! :lol: ( Still love it tho ! had more looks and compliments about gt than any other car ive owned ! :) cheers and thanks again

·
Registered
404 Posts
where is the rubber boot bit?
Get yourself into the footwell and look at the clutch pedal. As it is depressed the metal rod slides in and out through the rubber boot. Pull this back and spray some silicone grease into the mechanism. Press the pedal a few times and repeat etc to make sure the rod/housing is well lubed!

This hasn't cured mine but it certainly has quietened it down a lot.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Have found a cure!!! See link here . . . clicky

Undo the little clip that holds the rod from the master cylinder on to the pedal. Move said rod to one side and then:-

1- Insert thin rubber tap washer on the inside edge of the bar that connects the pedal to the master cylinder
2- Put lithium grease liberally on the part of the clutch pedal that goes into the master cylinder rod eye
3- Pack the inside of the hole on the master cylinder rod with lithium grease too
4- Lithium grease the two outer faces of master cylinder rod and re-attach to clutch pedal
5- On the outermost side under the wee clip you should have removed a small washer. This is too small and next to useless. Replace said washer with something of bigger diameter (apprrox 25-30mm) remembering to lightly grease the inner face too for good measure.
6- Now put the wee clip back in.

This should take no more than 10 mins tops and has worked for me having had a silent clutch pedal now for three weeks. It doesn't however cure the occasionally notchy travel but that is for another day. It is my opinion that the creak is caused by a bit of lateral movement of the slave cylinder where it attaches at the top of the clutch arm, which accentuates the wear. With the tap washer, the greasing and the bigger washer holding it together the whole assembly becomes more solid.

Hope you can decipher my ramblings, if not don't hesitate to ask. Hope this is of some help

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
This is common on the 166....I would of missed my creak if I had fixed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts