Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had quite a productive week, got the Fiat serviced and managed to do the 159 too!

159 has had the PCV pipe done from filler to separator along with an engine service, and FINALLY managed to get the time to do front springs and lower wishbones (that have been in the garage for longer than i care to remember...)

thought id fixed the creaking that was, i thought down to the wishbones, but that elusive lil cretin remains, every time there is weight transfer on passenger side of the car. cornering, road undulations/speed humps, braking/accellerating.

im now thinking down the lines of ARB bushes, can anyone suggest if im going the right way or way off the mark?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I can say this if the noise happens at 20 mph or below 20mph it'll the rear upper wishbone bush. They can sound like an old bed

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clay... Passenger top wishbone is less than a year old also issue has been present since purchase last dec... thought it was lowers since they had lots of play in ball joint and appeard to be original

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine sounds like this now. Rear offside balljoint I think, although bushes where flagged at service 2 months ago as being very worn. Every bump it creaks and sounds f-ing awful. Looks like I'll be £700 lighter soon to get the powerflex bushes and TRW arms.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If your upper arms that you bought are not TRW they'll wear the bush out fast that's what happened when I replace the uppers and lowers for Mayle.
I choose them over TRW because they're German made and had a two year guarantee. After only six month though in cold temps they sounded the same again, really annoying! A Power plex bush kit fitted to the uppers fixed that for two years until the cooper grease went dry and ran out on futher inspection. A marine outboard motor grease seems to be running on them better now after a strip down and rebuild which only took an hour & half to do. Didn't have to realign the wheels either.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty certain top arms aren't TRWs :( replaced by dealer when purchased the car last year, i get the distinct impression they're either Birth or Febi, from conversations held within the '3 month warranty period'.

either way, TRWs are similar price to Powerflex and 'less work' i.e bolt off bolt on. gonna try lubing these ones up first and see how we get on, ive got some axle grease kicking about somewhere in the garage. or would CVJ molybdenum stuff be better?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did my uppers a few months ago. Fitted Delphi and they creaked from the outset. Sent them back under warranty and replaced them with TRW. They have been great,no noise at all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know this has been done to death but ive not found the answer my mind wants... what is it that squeaks... obviously 'the bush' but is it:-

the bush to arm surface
or
spindle to bush
or
bolt to spindle
or
spindle to mounting bracket

front or rear?

???

·
Registered
249 Posts
i know this has been done to death but ive not found the answer my mind wants... what is it that squeaks... obviously 'the bush' but is it:-

the bush to arm surface
or
spindle to bush
or
bolt to spindle
or
spindle to mounting bracket

front or rear?

???
Every year one of my uppers fails the MOT, one year it's near side, next it's offside, I've changed about five of them since owning the car, after the last change I got the dreaded creak, all I can think is that in all this time I never changed the bolt which I will be doing this time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts