Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Creak reduction

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MalcQV 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of doing a few winter jobs and over the next couple of evenings I will be replacing a heater control bulb and adjusting the window glass to fit better.

I'll be removing interior trim to do these jobs and wondered if anyone had attempted to reduce the creaking of trim parts (as the car twists) before putting them back and how successful they were, particularly over time.

I've got 2 things in mind, 1 is to liberally apply silicon spray to the back of the panels, the other is to use silicon bath type seal on the rear of the panel where the panel makes contact with the door / dash without it being noticed on the front of the panel.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Jamie

#3 ·
Got one already and it did make a difference to the dash area.

Its something that's more of an issue with the Spider as that section between the bulkhead and the behind seat storage area is always going to be a weak point short of welding the doors up.

#8 ·
I probably would if I used the car in the winter. Chances are if its driven, its driven top down.

I have come to terms with its creaking which means I notice it less but getting in the car for the first time in a while and reversing off a drive with a typical dodgy camber it really highlights how bad it is.

#14 ·
Under two rectangular covers near the windscreen, there are bolts that secure the dash. There are actually two bolts - the deepest one (not immediately obvious) is the most important, as it holds the subframe to the car. Has a 10mm head. The other one on an angle holds the dash to the subframe.

Tightening the bolts made an immense difference to my Spider, eliminating a loud creak that would ruin the experience of driving around a roundabout.

Fitting a strut brace had made no difference for me.

-Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.