Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our 2016 Giulietta JTDm2 makes an annoying creak when going over speed ramps or low speed bumps. If we're going above 30mph it doesn't seem to happen but any speed under that and you can hear it if the radio is off. I think that it is coming from the rear of the car as it tends to creak as we come OFF of a ramp.

I've used silicone lube spray on as many bushings and joints as I could find without actually lifting the car or taking wheels off but that hasn't helped. Does it sound like a bushing needs to be replaced? If so can this be done by a garage other than an Alfa dealer? We have a good Ford garage nearby, the local Alfa dealer is much further away and has a 3 week wait time!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got my G in January and have posted on this before. During the colder months I had a horrible creak going over bumps (and even just badly uneven roads) on startup. As soon as the car was warmed up it stopped.

I took it to a garage and they found nothing wrong. It appears to just be a 'thing'. For me, over the spring/summer, with the warmer temps I haven't had the same creak but I'm fully expecting it to start soon, now that we are in single digit temperatures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my G in January and have posted on this before. During the colder months I had a horrible creak going over bumps (and even just badly uneven roads) on startup. As soon as the car was warmed up it stopped.

I took it to a garage and they found nothing wrong. It appears to just be a 'thing'. For me, over the spring/summer, with the warmer temps I haven't had the same creak but I'm fully expecting it to start soon, now that we are in single digit temperatures.
You should both check under the car on both sides in the area of the rear doors: the handbrake cables running on both sides are squeecking against the J shaped hooks they run through. Lubricate them with some thick lithium grease and the squeek should disappear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should both check under the car on both sides in the area of the rear doors: the handbrake cables running on both sides are squeecking against the J shaped hooks they run through. Lubricate them with some thick lithium grease and the squeek should disappear.
I used silicone grease but that was on the bushings I could see without lifting the car. No idea if I sprayed rear brake cable linkages...probably not.

Consensus doesn't seem to indicate bushings so?

I'll pick up some lithium grease and give the cable runners a spray. Would I expose more bushings by taking off a wheel and jacking the car up a little? Might hit a few more that I did not already catch. In better news, some of my motorbike chain lube seems to have dealt with the dreaded creaking clutch pedal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rear bushing is not a problem with Giulietta ad far as i know.
You would indeed expose more bushings by removing a wheel and jacking the car but i don't think any of them would squeek.

Try to find both handbrake cables and lube them where they meet the hooks in front of rear wheels and let me know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear bushing is not a problem with Giulietta ad far as i know.
You would indeed expose more bushings by removing a wheel and jacking the car but i don't think any of them would squeek.

Try to find both handbrake cables and lube them where they meet the hooks in front of rear wheels and let me know.
Won't be home until too late to do it tonight but I'll get to it tomorrow and will post back on here. Thanks Indierock!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Photos of the runners and their location would be useful if you don't mind - mine has has been doing this since I bought it and I just put up with it!
Sounds like a simple enough fix - I assume there's enough room to lube them up with just a jack and no need to get it on a proper car lift?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photos of the runners and their location would be useful if you don't mind - mine has has been doing this since I bought it and I just put up with it!
Sounds like a simple enough fix - I assume there's enough room to lube them up with just a jack and no need to get it on a proper car lift?
I had a look yesterday but I'm not sure if I got the handbrake cables or not...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 16 of 16 Posts