Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have now completed three ascents each one was 2 km. There was no massive use of brakes, at the end of the last ascent after cooling the front brakes they started to creak and there was a relatively strong smell to use. Plates and pads were replaced 2000 km ago, Brembo's company. Who can explain to me what the problem is and why it happened, and if it is necessary to run to the garage.
I have Giulietta QV 2012

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Struggling to understand 3 ascents (going uphill) no massive use of brakes but you allowed them to cool?

do you mean you did some big descents and the brakes got a bit warm?

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Did you buy the Brembo's from Euro Car parts? I have heard rumours from a few places which suggests the ones which they sell are not as good as you would normally expect from Brembo.

* This isn't my opinion, I am just repeating what I have heard...

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Did you buy the Brembo's from Euro Car parts? I have heard rumours from a few places which suggests the ones which they sell are not as good as you would normally expect from Brembo.

This is correct, they are brand name licensed if you get the same thing from All Parts Automotive for example they are genuine Brembo.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This is correct, they are brand name licensed if you get the same thing from All Parts Automotive for example they are genuine Brembo.
sounds like ECP up to their old tricks again, it’s either brembo or it’s some other junk in a brembo box.
Personally if it says brembo on the list and it comes in brembo box then I want a brembo part not some cheap crap manufactured in China pretending to be brembo.

wary what I get from ECP these days especially with their so called discounts,I stopped using their braking components a while ago now as I don’t trust the stuff they sell.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Ebay is usually cheaper than ECP, and most sellers have far better customer service.

I used to buy Pagid brakes, but now only ECP sell them. As for that Eicher stuff, I got caught once...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Eicher I don’t know where that garbage is made but never again would I ever fit that stuff. Brother in law got eicher disks and pads for his car,I fitted them and have to say what utter junk that stuff is.

I have used pagid in past and found them to be ok,didn’t realise you can only get from ECP now. Wonder why that is? Textar and mintex I have also found to be good

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I have used pagid in past and found them to be ok,didn’t realise you can only get from ECP now. Wonder why that is? Textar and mintex I have also found to be good
Euros have owned pagid for a few years now, textar are BMW OEM

I run pagid as it was convenient as I’m in the trade. I’ll just point out that they were cheaper including VAT from their website than I could get them trade and we are on National pricing 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
7,670 Posts

This is an interesting question.

The Brembo discs from Eurocarparts are ok if they are manufactured in Italy. But then you would expect them to be made in Italy, as Brembo is an Italian company. Unfortunately there is an increasing trend for the Brembo discs to be made in China. This factory was opened in 2019 and started making Brembo calipers, but they are now making discs as well.

All the Brembo discs I have bought from Eurocarparts have come from Italy and all were ok. Except for the latest discs which have come from China. The quality of these discs is poor. There are marks on the braking surfaces of the discs, and quite a lot of overspray of the protective paint from the hubs onto the disc surfaces. Worse still (and this is the really bad bit) the vented discs are clearly manufactured in two halves and are glued together. You can clearly see this if you look into the vented space in the middle of the disc. The two halves are not even aligned perfectly. There is no way they are going on my Alfa Romeo. I simply cannot believe that Brembo are allowing this manufacturing process to take place in China!

After this latest episode I certainly cannot recommend Brembo discs from Eurocarparts, unless you pick them up from one of their local stores and inspect before purchase. The country of manufacture is on the side of the box, but I would also look at the discs as well before buying!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting thread! I've been looking at purchasing Brembo pads from Eurocarparts for my Audi RS3. I checked the All Parts Automotive website, they have Brembo rear pads to suit but the only front pads listed are Delphi brand. Never heard of them!
Would it be worth anyone's trouble to make knock off pads for an RS3? They can't be a volume seller!

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Personally I don't think that you can beat TRW for the money. Mintex are good but dusty, Textar are good but expensive, same with ATE.

TRW give top performance at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
35,768 Posts
Perhaps it’s ok if they are listed as fitting Brembo but branding rubbish as Brembo by the company itself is not a good long term plan!

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is some nonsense in this thread.

eurocarparts do not own pagid.

pagid are part of tmd friction who also own textar and mintex amongst others. Eurocarparts have exclusive rights to see the standard pagid range in the uk. Other retailers are allowed to sell the pagid performance range.

I personally have had a poor experience with pagid pads on my mito with them failing and the friction material separating from the backing so will make a point of not using them again.

Disks are not made in two halves and stuck together. They are cast as one piece. The ‘join’ line is where the two halves of the mould are put together to allow the vented structure to be formed, then after casting they are machined to size. You will probably be able to see the join on 90% of vented disks, it is not anything to worry about.

There are strict standard which brake parts have to meet in the uk, if brakes are making noise and smells after moderate use then most of the time the cause is a calliper starting to stick, usually due to the protective coating on the piston starting to fail and jam in the bore so the pads are kept lightly pressed against the disk which quickly generates excess heat.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Tyres also have strict standards, but it is still possible to buy ones which are legal but perform significantly worse than others.

I have had no problem with Pagid brakes personally, but I won't be buying them as long as ECP are the only supplier.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
There is some nonsense in this thread.

eurocarparts do not own pagid.

pagid are part of tmd friction who also own textar and mintex amongst others. Eurocarparts have exclusive rights to see the standard pagid range in the uk. Other retailers are allowed to sell the pagid performance range.

I personally have had a poor experience with pagid pads on my mito with them failing and the friction material separating from the backing so will make a point of not using them again.

Disks are not made in two halves and stuck together. They are cast as one piece. The ‘join’ line is where the two halves of the mould are put together to allow the vented structure to be formed, then after casting they are machined to size. You will probably be able to see the join on 90% of vented disks, it is not anything to worry about.

There are strict standard which brake parts have to meet in the uk, if brakes are making noise and smells after moderate use then most of the time the cause is a calliper starting to stick, usually due to the protective coating on the piston starting to fail and jam in the bore so the pads are kept lightly pressed against the disk which quickly generates excess heat.
Well I'm certainly glad to learn that the casting process results in one piece of metal rather than two items stuck together.

However the quality of finish from the Chinese made product is not as good as the ones made in Italy. I have several sets of brake discs from Italy and China so can compare.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Interesting thread! I've been looking at purchasing Brembo pads from Eurocarparts for my Audi RS3. I checked the All Parts Automotive website, they have Brembo rear pads to suit but the only front pads listed are Delphi brand. Never heard of them!
Would it be worth anyone's trouble to make knock off pads for an RS3? They can't be a volume seller!
Delphi are used as OEM parts by Vauxhall. It was part of GM until it was spun off. See the links to ACDelco too. That said my info may be out of date seeing as how motoring manufacturers form and break alliances.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi everyone, I have now completed three ascents each one was 2 km. There was no massive use of brakes, at the end of the last ascent after cooling the front brakes they started to creak and there was a relatively strong smell to use. Plates and pads were replaced 2000 km ago, Brembo's company. Who can explain to me what the problem is and why it happened, and if it is necessary to run to the garage.
I have Giulietta QV 2012
I have a 2013 diesel with the same brakes and have crossed the pyrenees and alps with that car, also with 5 people and luggage in it. Brakes didn't really get hot. Track driving has put more strain on them.

Worst thing you can do as a driver is to brake lightly trying to maintain a certain speed. This will quickly overheat brakes. Maybe the car is doing it for you though, through sticky caliper pistons, or the pads are too snuggly fit and a little thermal expansion got them stuck.

Have a look at your brake discs, if one of them got overheated it will definitley show it, the surface will be darker than the others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts