Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Happy Sunday,

I’ve been a long time observer of all things Alfa on here, so thanks for all your knowledge thus far!
So I’ve got my 2.4 ti sport-wagon which developed a rear main leak....closer inspection has bought about some bad news...the crank journal is grooved from the seal. It seems the old rear main had a spring to preload the sealing lip & the new ones dont (perhaps they recognised this as an issue?)
Various options of repairing have been discussed, but have been met with hesitation (sleeving , grinding etc) & when enquiring about a new crank Alfa proffered £1800 + vat 🤢
Any one had this issue & resolved without total financial depletion? Unsure if I want to take a dive into the world of used & reconditioned

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

Si

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
What part of the world are you from?
Machining the crank would be a cheaper option I would have thought and fit (if available) an oversized seal or sleeve and fit a standard seal, weld and grind it back if it’s not that bad??
There are machinists here I know that would undertake that, offer the right solution and be no where near the cost quoted.
At least you know what you have?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
How deep is the groove? If its only a few thou you will get away with blending out any rough or sharp edges with fine emery and using a new seal or if its more then not fitting the new seal all the way home by a mil or 2 will also work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a product called Speedi-Sleeve made for problems like this. It is a thin steel sleeve which fits over and resurfaces grooved seal interfaces. They are easy to use and it would be worth looking to see if they make the size you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts