Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience at removal of the crank sensor on a gt jts? I’ve separated the flexi section of the exhaust to access from underneath. Although it’s tight, I was unable to unbolt the sensor but can’t get it out of the block. It will rotate, but won’t budge trying to pull it free. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, that should say ‘I was able’ to unbolt it. Would be self explanatory if I hadn’t unbolted it and couldn’t get it out!!

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I have done it on a 2.0 TS engine from above.
The crank sensor has an O-ring and can sometimes be a bit difficult to pull out.
Can you get a screwdriver under bolt fixation edge to try to force it out?

When you get the sensor out, the O-ring may stay in the engine block and you need to get it out before putting in the new sensor.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
258 Posts
It's a matter of method - I spent a day trying to get a broken sensor out of my TS. Tried from above and below. A mechanic friend, who was taller than I am, reached down from the top and pulled the sensor out in 5 minutes!! Felt a right Charlie...

Changed the same sensor on my JTD when that went in minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I had another bash at it this afternoon and managed to get a small flat screwdriver under the edge. After a little prising it popped out.
I tried all ways to get to it, but with it being tucked under the starter it seemed impossible to get at it from above. New sensor slid straight in and the car fired up first time with the new one in place. It wouldn’t fire before I started. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts