Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been a member on here for a while but mainly a 'lurker' I'm afraid :(
My crank sensor has given up the ghost, usual problems, enigine cuts out when it gets hot, won't start unless its cooled down then starts the process all over again until last night, now it won't start at all.
I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I'm no expert mechanic, managed to do my clutch slave cylinder, new rear calipers and discs and a few other odds n sods.I was just wondering, does anyone have any pictures of where the sensor is? I have been told it's a bit of a b**ch to get at but would rather try myself first before I started asking a garage to do it, a little matter of being laid off last month :rant:
Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I dont have a picture of it. . . but i will have a look.

I rought location for you, on the back of the block, gearbox side, about halfway up the block. You get to it from underneath the car and yes, a bit difficult to get to!

I have a crank sensor from my old QV sat on my work bench somewhere, i presume you already have a replacement?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
They aren't that hard to do..........last one I did took about 15 - 20 minutes....but I got a lot of scratches on my arm, so I'd recommend you take a bit longer and remove the throttle body to give you more room. You will find the sensor lurking just under the starter. Once the securing bolt is out (normally an allen screw) you may need to twist the sensor to get it moving - theoretically they just pull out, but they can be tight.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was about to post the same question tonight, although mine never fails to start, just stalls when I come to a stop after the engine is at temp.

Pics would be handy if anyone has them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the speedy replies guys, it's much appreciated :D
Looks like I know already what I'll be doing over the weekend now (at least I have an excuse not to visit the in-laws now!)

Thanks once again.

Paul

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
there is a write up on how to replace it one here somewhere IIRC, fairly eay, but access is a little tricky.

HTH

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I was about to post the same question tonight, although mine never fails to start, just stalls when I come to a stop after the engine is at temp.

Pics would be handy if anyone has them.
That would be an Idle Control Valve which is on the side of the throttle body, even easier to change. But before you do that clean the Throttle body of all the gunk build up and reset the parameters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That would be an Idle Control Valve which is on the side of the throttle body, even easier to change. But before you do that clean the Throttle body of all the gunk build up and reset the parameters.
It erratically idles too and drops revs when coming down the gears, still the ICV? or more likely to be the CPS?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apologies for taking so long to get back to you guys to thank you for the help :D Finally got the sensor change and boy was it a swine to get to :rant:
Bella started first time and ran smoothly until . . . . . . . . . . Yep, something else went wrong lol! When I took her for an Italian tune up, she seemed to cut out for about a second, rev counter needle dropped like a stone and then suddenly we're back to normal again. Thought nothing of it as she was running smoothly then 5 mins later did it again and then continued to do it every few minutes until I got her home.
Not being a mechanic I spent a while searching this site and decided to have a look at the BBOB. What a sight! Took the cover off and went to pull out the relays and the connectors just fell apart, rusted and green! Ten minute job to change them and she's running as good as new :thumbs:
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site, I wouldn't have known where to start otherwise, and big thumbs up from me! :thumbs:

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts