Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, took my 159 into the garage today. Diagnosis is that it's a crank bearing that's gone. He says it's a big job, too big for him to want to take on. Anyone had this done before? How much are we talking? I realise it's likely to be an engine out job so that adds a chunk of labour hours right off the bat 馃様

Registered
So, took my 159 into the garage today. Diagnosis is that it's a crank bearing that's gone. He says it's a big job, too big for him to want to take on. Anyone had this done before? How much are we talking? I realise it's likely to be an engine out job so that adds a chunk of labour hours right off the bat 馃様
I am amused by the unwillingness of so many mechanics to take that beautiful HFV6 apart. It is undoubtedly an expensive endeavour, but not anything so complex. You may want to speak to sizwell (Bryan). He just put together his V6 after I reckon a similar issue.
I am curious to know, what were the symptoms you experienced and how was this issue diagnosed by your mechanic.

Registered
As above what we鈥檙e/are the symptoms?
Does engine need to come out to change bearings? If crank is shot and needs a grind I can understand but normally you can access bearings just by removing the sump.

However I would be more concerned with what caused the bearing failure and if any other work will also be required

Registered
What JohnnyR is saying!

First asses whether it is a too far damaged crank journal or just minor damage just started. If latter, you might well come away with lightly smoothening the crank with some (P1200) grinding paper and a new bearing set.

Whether the sump can be easily removed at a Brera I do not know though. On a friend's 2.0 JTS (156) I managed once succesfully with the car on jack stands.
He luckily took the advice not to run the engine any mile further after a possible conrod bearing failure was diagnosed and is still enjoying his car without knocking sounds.

Don't run yours as long as you've the slightest suspicion your mechanic diagnosed correct. This might save a crank.

Wish you luck sorting it soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
He diagnosed just by listening to it, and my description of what happened. See my older thread for more details, but basically the dashboard oil level thing stopped working without me noticing, and I neglected the oil level (especially as it wasn't using any for a long while). It ran pretty low. He reckons the noise is coming from the crank, and it's the bearing shell seized onto the crank, and that's the noise we can hear. I trust his judgement, I've been using the same garage for years now. I emailed Ned at auto lusso, and he said that it'll be an expensive job if it is the above 馃様 馃槩

Registered
In all honesty I would say you are in for a full strip and rebuild.
If it鈥檚 done a main or big end then there will be other damage the top end normally loses oil first so I would expect cam/bearing damage up there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts