Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When I am parked in my driveway and turn the steering from side to side as I get nearly to full lock cracking/crunching sound from steering anyone else have this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get the same from my 2.4 Brera, it was noticed at my Alfa service centre they have since had the same comment about a 1.9 159. I dont notice it when I am moving and they checked it on the ramp and said it was on both sides and think it is the disk guard. I doesnt happen on the ramp only on the ground. They are going to inspect it when I can find time to book it in for a proper inspection

·
Registered
244 Posts
Am I allowed to be the sad boring sod with the recent IAM Certificate, and point out that you shouldn't be doing this anyway. Apparantly it's bad practice to turn the wheel when stationary due to the high stress you are putting on the power steering system? There, got it off my chest!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
pressure valve? i've had several cars which do it - that said the 159 isnt one of them...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Am I allowed to be the sad boring sod with the recent IAM Certificate, and point out that you shouldn't be doing this anyway. Apparantly it's bad practice to turn the wheel when stationary due to the high stress you are putting on the power steering system? There, got it off my chest!
Very true. Something Clare is guilty of:(

im not talking about when stationary, mine does it a low speed; while parking etc.
Have you had the fluid changed at all? This can cure a load of PS issues:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mines the same doesnt have to be stationary cracks at low speed like when I turn into my driveway maybe I will get fluid changed to see if it rectifys problem

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 159 has a similar noise (clunking??) which Alfa couldnt identify. I thought it was the CV joint to begin with... then the track rod end was changed which certainly helped. It is intermitent and hard to identify. I'd be interested to hear any fixes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
im not talking about when stationary, mine does it a low speed; while parking etc.

Mine does this also at low speed, the creaking can be quite loud, and imo is coming from the steering column although I hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Am having this looked at by Lipscomb in early November, this is the soonest both they and I can do with them loaning me a car ("anything from a Punto to a Volvo V70 mate")

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
My Brera started creaking during low speed full lock manouvering. I could almost feel it throught the steering and I was convinced it was the rack. However I've just had the offside top swing arm replaced and it's all quiet again! Might be worth getting the dealer to check the suspension rather than just concentrating on the steering alone.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Sorry, mine was in warranty.

Do you have any good independants near you?
That would be your best port of call.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do I have a good local mechanic just want to know how much is the part as I fell it will be a lot more expensive than the labor cost which he will charge for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had same problem with the creaking while parking and was told by dealer it was the tie rods which apparently can't be replaced. Reconditioned rack it seems (@ €500 - €600 plus fitting) is the only way out. Negotiations with the 3rd year warranty company are ongoing. I also had all swing arms replaced on last service for creaking like an old bus...wonder if they're related...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Am having pas fluid changed when the egr valve is done so will see if this will help...

·
Registered
919 Posts
PAS fluid changed on Friday which has helped a little, although steering still noisy. Am currently awaiting authorisation from Alfa Care for new steering rack and PAS pump! :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts