Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have now officially buggered the windscreen on my new 155.. this is the 2nd I wreck in the space of 3 months on two different cars :mad: Are Alfa's windscreens made of chocolate??? I keep a pretty generous distance from the guys in front and take jolly good care of it but I keep on cracking them as if the car is twisting too much and stressing the screen to buggery! Could it be the way I chuck the car into corners??? :D

My questions to you are:
1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. What glass does Autoglass & Co use to replace windscreens; are these OE parts or their own brand?
3. Does anyone else have blue tinted glass as opposed to the more common green? I kind of see this as being a problem since I expect Autoglass will probably come round with some green stuff!
4. Do insurance companies do this for a set price and if so will it affect my NCB?

Cheers,

Taz.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
If you have fully comp insurance it should just cost you £50 and should not affect your NCB.
if you have TPFT like me, you may have to foot the entire bill!
on the 156 we have had 2 in 2years i think!

Motorway driving :mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autoglass et al use parts supplied with the Alfa logo on them. If its the wrong tint when they get there, tell them and refuse it! Simple!

It will probably cost you a £50 excess and shouldn't affect your no-claims.
:)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the blue tint ones.
Yeah if you're fully comp,then £50 excess
is the norm.

An OE part from Alfa will hurt you in
the region of £170-£180.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup.. autoglass replaced mine under insurance - blue tint, spot on :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I insisted on OE when the twinny cracked. Sounds like the same as yours Taz, it just went from a strees crack I think.

Beware, I was given an insurance quote stating that a windscreen claim was considered a claim...only had it from one company but you never know how they are loading your premiums!

wrinx

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had mine changed in April, it cost me £60 from Autoglass through the insurance, and I just recieved a Quote for renewal and it only went up by £4. So I guess it doesn't affect my NCD.
BTW I had the screen changed because the oik that put in the screen I bought the car with had caught the edge of the screen surround and I had the roof sprayed because of rust. The previous screen was fitted by RAC Autowindscreens and according to the fitter they use their own glass which is thinner than O.E spec, and not tinted either... :mad:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a side window replaced by Autoglass and they used a non Alfa copy, but the tint colour is absolutely spot on.

Your policy should state whether your NCD is affected, most aren't.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno who fitted Tarquini's windscreen (before my time) but it is not a pukka Alfa part.

The fit and durability are all okay but I suspect it is a bit mis-shapen (maybe too bowed-out). The windscreen wiper on the driver's side doesn't clear the bottom of the screen at the top of the arc.

I thought it might be the wiper but I changed it and got exactly the same result. I dunno if it is a generic 155 folible of course....

Anyway, I'd always want a pukka Alfa acreen if I had to change it during my watch.

Ralf S.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mines been replaced with a non alfa
screen also.
Ralf, i have the same problem as you
except its my n/side wiper which doesn't
clear the bottom of the screen, at rest
and on the down stroke.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys, I guess it is a lot more common than what I thought!
I shall get in touch with Autoglass to see what they have to say about using genuine parts & getting the tint right!

Cheers,

T.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all,
Just had a chat with the insurance company; this confirms what you lot have said although they seem to have forwarded my repair request to a company called NATIONAL WINDSCREENS. Questions are:

1. Is it as per accident damage as in I can actually use who I want and not who the insurance wants me to use

2. Has anyone heard of this company before or had dealings with them? Are they recommendable over AUTOGLASS?

I really can't be [email protected] fighting over glass replacement and thus want to get it right first time. Your help with this matter is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

T.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive used national without any probs......make the bod a cuppa he will feel more like doing a good job...and choccie bickie will also help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts