Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh thank you God! Thank you very much indeed.

Here we are in a lockdown, four adults in a house, isolated successfully for over four weeks, not so much as setting foot in a shop. We do not want things breaking down and plumbers or electricians having to call.

Yesterday the sink cracked. Yes, the kitchen sink. And no, I’ve never heard of a sink cracking before. But it has, and it leaks.

Ranted on here once about Wren Kitchens who, after lousy service, provided a lousy tap which I threw away and replaced. But we kept the sink, which has now cracked.

Daughter suggested covering the crack with Sellotape. Old-fashioned look from moi. Then the lavatory blocked. Thank you God! Out to garage for drain plunger. Hang on. Over there on the shelf is an ancient remnant of gutter repair tape, kept who-knows-why.

Also an (unused) cat litter tray. Why did I have one of those? We have never had a cat. Perfect fit as a bowl inside the sink.

So we might survive for a time, with taped up sink and cat’s bowl, before we have to fit a new sink. No thanks to God.

To reassure Christians, Jews and Muslims: it’s not your God I’m complaining about. It’s author Michael Frayn’s George God, the god of the mundane and annoying, who rots your floorboards and fails your Alfa’s MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
that’s my favourite lockdown story yet.
Well done, top marks. If you want though, you can now visit B&Q it’s now aloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
We have had a leaky kitchen sink drain plug for months....I have indeed sellotaped it....and it works....though we have a bowl under the sink which we have to empty once a week....one day I will get it fixed....but am too damned lazy.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
We have had a leaky kitchen sink drain plug for months....I have indeed sellotaped it....and it works....though we have a bowl under the sink which we have to empty once a week....one day I will get it fixed....but am too damned lazy.
Ronan given that you must have been in lockdown for seven weeks or so, that's some absolute top level faffing!

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
A few years ago, an unfortunate incident made a hole in both our bath and Mrs K's knee. Due to a plumber being a monumental bell end it would have been out of action for a matter of weeks were it not for the miracle of gaffer tape. It sealed it so well that I suggested buying a while rol, reinforcing it with a dollop of instant wheelarch, and calling it fixed.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
A few years ago, an unfortunate incident made a hole in both our bath and Mrs K's knee. Due to a plumber being a monumental bell end it would have been out of action for a matter of weeks were it not for the miracle of gaffer tape. It sealed it so well that I suggested buying a while rol, reinforcing it with a dollop of instant wheelarch, and calling it fixed.
Now, you're my type of guy....I doff my cap to you......you could also have just tippexed the tape.....I find tippex very handy for paint that has peeled off radiators.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Our front door is currently sporting a bit of colour matched gaffer tape. It got cracked whilst shifting some furniture. It was scheduled for repair in May but the insurance company have cancelled due to lockdown.

All you need is gaffer tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, gaffer tape. If it doesn't move and it should.....

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
I know that feeling! Got to completely redo the plumbing under my current kitchen sink (which when the new kitchen is ready, will be the utility room sink). New stop ****, new cold water feed to the connector for the rest of the house, feeds to the washing machine & dishwasher. The only problem is it is a horrible amalgamation original iron pipe, copper pipe and plastic pipe with a horrendous amount of adaptors, blanked off T-pieces and all-sorts, and someone has painted the wall at some point and covered most of the pipes and connectors in paint too. Lots of adaptors and unions, no doubt different thread sizes everywhere. And half of it is on the wall behind the sink bowl, which is bonded into the unit and the unit is tucked into the wall with tiles going over part of it. So its gonna be an absolute nightmare, which is why I have been emptying 3 different sized tubs on about a twice-weekly basis for almost 2 years :LOL:

Don't want to pay a plumber for something I can do myself, but really aren't looking forward to getting stuck into this one.

Reactions: ronan

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am deeply touched by the responses, and heartened to know so many of us are enthusiastic about bowl-jobs.

Next big task is to find a sink which fits the orifice. Needless to say, there are certain common sizes and mine isn't one of them. And I need to measure my orifice, which is difficult to reach without contorting myself in unpleasant places.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ive been steadily cleaning out the pipes under the sink and I though I'd finished but when I turned the cold tap on the mixer to check for leaks I found it leaking back through the hot tap. Fortunately my son-in-law who fitted the kitchen 6 years ago fitted on/off valves in the pipes so I was able to remove the hot tap valve without any fuss. The as I've been busy doing a major sort out of drawers, cupboards, rooms and tools I remembered I had a brand new spare. Fitted a dream with no problems. Result!
Just rubbing it in.

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
Ive been steadily cleaning out the pipes under the sink and I though I'd finished but when I turned the cold tap on the mixer to check for leaks I found it leaking back through the hot tap. Fortunately my son-in-law who fitted the kitchen 6 years ago fitted on/off valves in the pipes so I was able to remove the hot tap valve without any fuss. The as I've been busy doing a major sort out of drawers, cupboards, rooms and tools I remembered I had a brand new spare. Fitted a dream with no problems. Result!
Just rubbing it in.
That would have been an absolute god-send, I wish whoever had put my kitchen in had done so. Although its approaching sixty years since my kitchen was installed, I guess back then most people were probably more than capable of doing all their own plumbing.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The first house I bought, well paid a mortgage on, was owned by a plumber and every single supply pipe had a stop ****. The decorations however were atrocious, layer upon layer of wall paper made worse by layers of gloss paint. Took ages to get off and the plaster followed rapidly, it was the old horsehair reinforced type. To give you an idea of how long ago that was it cost £14 995 and was quite large with a garage, a 30 year old air raid shelter from WW2 and a large back garden. It needed a lot of work as did a subsequent house so this one only needed decorating as I was fed up with living in a building site.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If the air raid shelter was 30 years old then you are presumably talking about 1969 when £15k was a lot of money. In 1968 our first home (a 3 bed bungalow) cost £3100. Sold in 1973 for £8,500. Inflation was high in the '70s wasn't it?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Should've been 35 years, my error, which makes it 1976. The shelter wasn't a corrugated steel one covered with earth but a 4" thick reinforced concrete one with a blast blocker and I think was made in 1941. So I think the owners then either had money or influence or both. It took a lot to get rid of it, necessary as it was right in the middle of the lawn.
The bad time for high interest rates was in the last couple of years of the 80s into the 90s. I went into serious negative equity in the 90s despite putting a 50% deposit on a house in 88.

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
If the air raid shelter was 30 years old then you are presumably talking about 1969 when £15k was a lot of money. In 1968 our first home (a 3 bed bungalow) cost £3100. Sold in 1973 for £8,500. Inflation was high in the '70s wasn't it?
Wow, your house went up in price by 175% in the space of 5 years, that is an incredible rate of gain. Would be like a £250k house these days appreciating to nearly £700k in the space of 5 years. Can you remember what rate you were paying on your mortgage then?

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
The bad time for high interest rates was in the last couple of years of the 80s into the 90s. I sent into serious negative equity in the 90s despite putting a 50% deposit on a house in 88.
Makes the last fifteen years seem fairly sedate. You had some real volatility back then. I was a kid in the 80s, my parents just managed to keep the house by the skin of their teeth, although my dad's building company went to the wall, and their relationship never really recovered.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Just looked up to find out how much it is 'worth' now. Could only find the house next door which didn't have even 2/5 the garden area or a garage, mine was a corner plot with enough space on the side to build another house but there was a building line covenant to prevent that. One next door went for £550 000 two years ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts