Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off on my Christmas Hols to Lancs. next week and came across this place. I have come across some unusual place names before, but Cow Ark (yes, it's true, it really exists)! Internet searches reveal little about it. Does anyone on here know where the name came from or anything about it and is it worth a visit?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DD, well worth a small detour then. BUT, where did the name come from, does the hamlet have any sort of history?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Fairly local to me, and plenty of pleasant countryside around there......some good pubs too....

Afraid I don't know how the name is derived, although I have heard of "ark" being used as a term for a shelter...so maybe there was a barn or some such there in the past....

Browsholme Hall is nearby, and is open for visitors at times....there may be some info there....

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
How about Cowbit, not far from Peterborough. Apparently it is pronounced Cubbit.

Not far from here we have Happy Bottom and a bit further away is Sandy Balls - have to keep them apart or it's not very comfy.

K

·
0 Posts
How about Cowbit, not far from Peterborough. Apparently it is pronounced Cubbit.

Not far from here we have Happy Bottom and a bit further away is Sandy Balls - have to keep them apart or it's not very comfy.
If you fancy going a bit further, come up here and visit Nob End.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Unusal place names;

On the way from Birmingham to Redditch there is a sing for 'Pink Green' don't know if there are any cows there though!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The one that always amuses me is Limpley Stoke on the way to Bath. It brings a vision of a gay engine driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts