Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new the forum and currently hoping to sell my Fiat 20VT and buy a 166, hopefully a super!

A couple of quick questions - any help would be much appreciated:

1) Is the auto box on the 166 like a selespeed? I.e. tiptronic and auto?
2) Is the auto box really sluggish?
3) Do the autos drink much more fuel?
4) Is it easy to swap those wooden steering wheels?!?!
5) Are there any reputable Zender kit replicas?

Thanks!

Scot

D

·
0 Posts
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum mate! :D

I thought that all Super's were a manual 6 speed? :confused:

I believe that the Auto box on the 166 is supposed to be pretty decent to be honest, but I much prefer manual.

If you are getting a SUPER then I think the wheel has controls fitted to it, so it might not be so easy, just look for one with the leather black wheel instead.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Hi Scott,

1.Yes, but you change gear with the lever not paddles.
2.No. I had one for 5 years and it was great. The manual is of course quicker but the auto is cool.
3.Autos do drink slightly more. My Sportronic averaged 22mpg and my manual does 24mpg. If petrol is an issue mate, you are looking at the wrong car! Twinnies are better on fuel.
4.Yes, but as Darren says, if you find one with controls on the wooden steering wheel, it may be hard to find a normal one with controls also.
5.Don't know to be honest. Search the net I would say.

Good luck!

·
Registered
752 Posts
ahh the wooden wheel is all part of the Alfa charisma oh yeah!

·
Registered
38,442 Posts
I haven't driven a 166 super but it would have to be one hell of a car to drive better than a Coupe 20VT.

The extra space would be useful though.. :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I have owned a coupe 20vt, a coupe 20vt[6], a 166 3.0 6 speed Super and my Current 166 3.2 6 Speed Ti.

The 166 is obviously more practical, rarer and easier to live with than the coupe. Try going onto fccuk, Paranoia city!

Mitch has answered all your questions bar bodykit - Original kits are crooping up on ebay at present (partsworld, I think). Don't know where Darren is getting steering wheel control thing from - Very rare (not a standard Super item) so unlikely to be an issue and just disconect if it is!

Good Luck.:)

D

·
0 Posts
Ah I thought the Super 166 was like the BMW 7 series Dougie with controls taped across it, :lol: I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi folks.

I'm thinking about moving from my 155 V6 to a 166 soon and have been mooching around the usual places to see what's available. I also need to replace our ageing but so far reliable Thema as well, so was contemplating a brace of 166s.

I don't have/want to spend a lot here so I think I'm going to be looking at 2000/2002 area but I don't want a car with monster miles either.

DIY service/maintenance is no problem.

One at least will have to be a V6 3.0 and in my dotage, I quite fancy a lusso spec auto box. Did contemplate the other being a TS.

So, please, the benefit of your wisdom & experience with the car would be much appreciated....and you never know...WHY?? ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Thanks for all the information people.

Has anyone driven a 406? How does the 166 compare ride wise?

What should I expect out of a 3.0v6 (MPG)? <20 around town and 25-30 on the motorway?

And finally (sorry), how does the ride and handling compare to the 156?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
241 Posts
Scott - you're spot on for the MPG. Before my 166 I owned a 156 2.0 TS and I found the 166 has much better road holding but a bit more nose heavy (that would be the V6 I guess!). In theory a large front drive car with a heavy V6 really shouldn't handle well at all, but in fact it's really good! The only thing I miss is the quick rack steering of the 156 but otherwise I wouldn't go back.

Cheers

Philip

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had a 406 recently and it's compares well with the 166, 166 better in my book. One bit motorway bridge section on a wicked curve off the M60 always caused the 406 to jump slightly to the left at speed, the 166 doesn't feel it, doesn't move at all......

Mind you, I had a Lexus in between which may have clouded my vision....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts