Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai seem to be looking to expand their sales by producing more "niche" models. I quite liked the old Tiburon/Coupe (GK), which was discontinued in 2008.

The new Veloster is now available in the UK (has been on sale in the States for a while now), but is more in the style of the Scirrocco and Laguna coupe; "squat" rather than "sleek". An interesting feature is the fact that it has a door arragement like the Mini clubman; one door on the drivers' side, and two on the passengers' side.

A coupe version of the Elantra (the car we know as the i30) was recently unveiled in the US, but there are as yet no plans announced to bring this car to the UK.

The one I'd really like to see in the UK though is the Genesis coupe; with a choice of 3.8 V6 or 2.0 turbo and RWD, it could be good. (To see an earlier version of this car in action, do a google search for "Rhys Millen Hyundai Genesis"- some great drifting, and an ascent of the notorious Pikes' Peak).

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
It's interesting to note that my nephew, who wasn't born when Hyundai were flogging us the Pony and the Stellar, really likes these. For him, the is no stigma attached to the name at all.

Unlike the Clubman, the door on that is on the right side.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
None for me either.
I had a Mk 1 coupé F2 before the Alfa and it was a great car - the list of stuff fitted as standard (bearing in mind it was made in 1998) was quite impressive - especially when my mate (who had just spent all his dosh on a poverty spec 3-series BMW had a go in it) :)

The only thing that really let it down was the lack of horsepower. Alas the rumours of a Lotus-engineered 200+ BHP turbo unit for the Mk3 never came to anything.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It comes to something when the Korean crane makers are making significantly better looking cars that Alfa Romeo:cry:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Performance (or rather, lack of it) has been an issue for Hyundai in the past, but that's changed. They have some good engines now, from 3-cylinder exercises in fuel economy to a 5.0l V8. The facelifted RWD Genesis coupe now comes with either a turbo 2.0 producing 274bhp, or a 3.8 V6 with 348bhp.

The Veloster will initially only be available with a direct-injection 1.6 producing 138bhp, but a 1.6 turbo version producing 201bhp was recently unveiled at the Detroit show, and this version is expected to be available in the UK before the end of the year. Get the pricing right, and Hyundai could have their first Hot Hatch hit on their hands.

M

·
0 Posts
I saw the new Veloster on display at a local supermarket last night..........looks pretty daft and ugly to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts