Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We thought we would go to a local country pub for a drink this afternoon so we all got in Mrs rodz Audi and set off down the country lanes for the 2 mile drive. I chose to go the most direct route through a couple of small hamlets and through single track lanes.

When going through the first small village ( at small village speeds) i see a couple of people on horse back coming the other way, there is planty of room to pass so i slow down to a crawl to see the woman on the first horse move to the centre of the road and repeatadly thrust the flat of her hand at me. I stop and wind down my window expecting her to tell me the road is blocked or something to be told by horse woman that her friend is on a jittery horse and then proceeded to castigate me as i had continued to move forward at a crawl ( in the car that i pay hundreds of pounds a year in taxes to use on the roads, unlike her) when she was giving me the stop signal. She proceeded to then instruct me on the use of hand signals and made a beckoning signal, condacendingly telling me that that was the signal to continue and then showing me ,once again, the palm thrust forward signal, and then telling me in her "far back"accent that it means stop.

At this point i had had enough and gave her "the bird" and asked her if she knew what that signal meant? and told her that if the horse is so jittery that a car crawling along the road is a problem then it should not be out on the public highway.She rode off in a huff and the second woman then started on me telling me that I was lucky that her horse did not kick my car as he has had a really bad day:lol:. I told her that it would have been no problem as i would just have sued her for any damages before driving off.

I could not believe the exchange that had just taken place and even Mrs Rodz was laughing as she too could not believe it.

We continued on and were about three quarters of the way along an uphill section of very narrow single track lane when we met a man coming the other way in a ford focus he stopped about 30 yards past a gateway that was wide enough to pass and made no effort to reverse back up and gave me my second lesson in hand signals as he kept waving at me to go back, at this point i could not be bothered to argue and proceeded to reverse all the way down and around the corner ( about 200 yards) to a place that was wide enough to pass. I waited, with my window down, for him to pull up to me and said to him quite politely that when you meet on a single track road the car heading down hill is obliged to reverse and he only had 30 yards to go back. he replied that he "lived in this village" and why should he reverse for me. I could not be bothered to argue and drove off with Mrs Rodz and me shaking our heads and laughing.

By this timei was looking forward to getting to "the Bush Inn" for a pint of Bass from the wood, as we drove around the corner i was gobsmacked to see that the 500 year old thatched pub had recently burned to the ground:wow:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Not much chance of a Lottery Win tonight then Rodz, by the look of things today so far, Eh !!!!!........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
oh man - I thought i was having a bad day!!!!! SUCH a shame you were in the audi and not the 147GTA - you could have done a v6 growel and scared the **** out of the horse as you drove of!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SUCH a shame you were in the audi and not the 147GTA - you could have done a v6 growel and scared the **** out of the horse as you drove of!
funny you say that as Kate said something similar:lol:

I do consider myself a considerate driver most of the time and i do slow down for horses and kids on bikes etc. most horse riders acknowledge with a wave when you slow down for them but some of them cant help thinking that they have more right to the public highway than tax paying drivers.

Really made me laugh at the face she pulled when i educated her on hand signs :lol:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry i laffed...hugz
I too must confess that this gave me a good giggle. Sorry. :eek: :lol:
Thanks guys:)

An extra 'cooling down' beer for that man is prescribed.
mines a Bass please:D

Not much chance of a Lottery Win tonight then Rodz, by the look of things today so far, Eh !!!!!........:rolleyes:
forgot to get a ticket Roy, wonder if i should get one:lol:

There's a moral in this story somewhere, but bugger if i can think of it. though it did make me laugh :)
:lol::lol::lol:

that looks like one of those "we should have stayed at home" days ;)
Wish i had, got to go to bloody work at midnight as well:(

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,356 Posts
sorry Rod but i had to have a laugh there :lol:

again its a good job that i wasnt driving past the horses cos i wouldnt be so calm :eek:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Probably the horse riders that had burnt down the pub to save their sensitive horses from the people leaving the pub:lol:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Erm' fond remembrances of those members of the community who are in the main able to mount up? Condescending I'd of been and therefore a blown kiss would be the order of the day, as I came to a halt.

Never know where that may lead one? Rolling in the hay loft with the smell of stallions and mares pervading ones nostrils? Back to basics, without the missus in attendance naturally? :D :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts