Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again when desperate councils make out that anyone claiming a discount because they live alone is clearly a liar / criminal. I've just had a heated discussion with Bristol City Council on the phone, who are not only calling me a liar but attempting to backdate a claim on me.

As I told them on the phone, there are only a certain number of hoops I'm prepared to jump through to prove my case with them. If necessary we will go to court and fight it out there. But if it comes to that, I will be seeking compensation.

It would appear that one of their Big Brother computers detected a mailshot sent to the house in error by a bank and all hell has now broken loose.

I know of other people who have been persecuted by Bristol Council for daring to claim single person's discount.

If the council are that short of cash, I suggest they stop the ridiculous waste of cash on road 'improvement' schemes, some of which are truly laughable.

Totally useless bunch of cash wasting idiots.

N

·
0 Posts
Wish I had a single person discount. :(

Best part of 1000 Euros this year. (Inc 123 Euros for the TV licence.)
:cry:

Citizen's Advice?

V

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know there was a 'TV Licence' in France? But your Council Tax bill is only €1000 including your TV? Not bad!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I had a single person discount. :(

Best part of 1000 Euros this year. (Inc 123 Euros for the TV licence.)
:cry:

Citizen's Advice?
1000 Euros is a bargain. You can double that in the UK and the TV licence costs extra.

E

·
0 Posts
I need to phone the council today, my other half has moved in so I need to remove the discount and change to a joint account we setup for bills. Every other debit has been moved simply, but I just know the council tax is going to likely be painful.

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
They should do away with council tax, and instead add 1-2% onto everyones income tax. Then give that 1-2% to the councils from central government.

That would be a lot fairer IMO.

Around here they waste money by having 3 seperate waste collections every week, because the recycling is good for the environment. They forget about all of the fumes chucked out by the trucks. :rant:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I get a single occupancy discount, and get loads of post for other people. Am I likely to be targeted?

This brings me onto junk mail, credit agencys and others sending copious amounts of post for previous occupants. How the hell do I stop it?

·
Registered
37,744 Posts
Send them a one page letter, telling them you live alone and that if they want to prove otherwise they will have to do exactly that - prove it!

Any further unsubstantiated allegations will be ignored.

M

·
0 Posts
I get a single occupancy discount, and get loads of post for other people. Am I likely to be targeted?
By Southampton CC? Don't make me laugh - totally incompetent.

This brings me onto junk mail, credit agencys and others sending copious amounts of post for previous occupants. How the hell do I stop it?
You can't, though you could mark as return to sender, addressee deceased.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
They should do away with council tax, and instead add 1-2% onto everyones income tax. Then give that 1-2% to the councils from central government.

That would be a lot fairer IMO.

In what way would it be "fairer", coucil tax is there to pay for local services for EVERYONE to use why should it be that "middle england" has to fork out again for everyone else???

The poorest don't pay income tax, and neither do the most wealthy, also lets not forget about all the people who work cash in hand ...

If a "rich" person walks into Tesco are they charged more than a "poor" person for a loaf of bread? no ... surely the "fairest" method of payment would be for people to pay for the services they use?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yep, i had a run in with local council a few years ago, they tried to say i wasnt living alone. I was so staggered I had to pass the letter to my wife, just in time. as I passed out and was caught by my 18 year old son. He in turn revived me with the help of my grandfather, who had only just woken up! So fair play to my nan for getting him out of bed & in to the kitchen. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts