Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought my alfa run had come to an end after the 147. However I missed the brand alot after driving various other cars.

So Neil at auto italia twisted my arm and showed me an Alfa 166.

Ive ended up buying it.

now unfortunately its not the glorious V6. But it is a facelift with a good low mileage twinniein it .

Drives very well. Sublime even. Now its not like the 147 that wants you to boot it everywhere. The 6 speed box has very close ratios to ferry it along. And for me its perfect.

No where near as slugglish as you'd think.
Similar to my 147 1.8 but with a raspier note thanks to the ragazzon stainless exhaust.

Unfortunately im going to have yo make do without DSP which is a shame. But again I can live with that and just put my amp and aftermarket focal speakers in.

the twinnie looks tiny in the engine bay.

But I can now see why the owners of the 166 ate a bit reluctant to give them up.

Not looking forward to the day it might need a dmf but for now its going to make a great motorway muncher. Which is where I spend my commute.

Now to get fettling!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its bland is what it is. Not the stand out colours im used to with contrasting leather. But the heated seats work and so do the electric memory seats.

Small wins.

the ics is a bit of a nightmare trying to figure it out but im sure ill get used to it.

·
Administrator
88,057 Posts
Welcome back to Alfa ownership :thumbs: The F/L 166 does look good :cool:

Now off to the 166 Tech Lounge with you :p

;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
That looks lovely....

I quite like the silver tbh

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have a go in the 156 2.4 20v too. But actually preferred the 166. Crazy. I didn't think I would.

But it had plenty of poke.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being the face lift I suspect a cf3 variant if they did them for the 166.

It has the usual twin cats just after the exhaust manifold.

If not then yes cf2 and an extra 5hp...although at a lofty weight of 1420kg I don't think I'd notice.

Doesn't drive like a big car though. Which is odd.

Well untill I have to reverse it. And you thought the 147 156 and Gt had a poor turning circle. This thing is laughable.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did spend a good five mins playing with the electric seats. Bet when they break it'll be fun.

And they will break... :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
love it...

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I had to commute. I've only driven the 3.0v6 but I'd imagine the 2.0 would be a better all rounder.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,563 Posts
i would not be unhappy with that.

166s have a subtle loveliness to them that's often under-appreciated.

enjoy :)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Being the face lift I suspect a cf3 variant if they did them for the 166.

It has the usual twin cats just after the exhaust manifold.

If not then yes cf2 and an extra 5hp...although at a lofty weight of 1420kg I don't think I'd notice.

Doesn't drive like a big car though. Which is odd.

Well untill I have to reverse it. And you thought the 147 156 and Gt had a poor turning circle. This thing is laughable.
It is CF3. It was compulsory from Jan 2001 and that is a 2004 car...

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Congrats mate, looks like a nice car. I do a SMF conversion kit for those, when you're ready :)

Reactions: Egon

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Very nice, great looking cars, and you'll feel a bit exclusive driving one as you see so few, it's good to be different:thumbup:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've seen a few 166's on the road, and yours is by far the nicest looking specimen I've seen soo far. Silvers a classic colour, can't go wrong with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts