Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 156 sailed through it's mot last Monday, but from Wednesday onwards the airbag light has been on intermittently whilst driving. I just wondered if the warm weather could cause this due to things expanding or something?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi I dont think so they are tempramental on these they seem to come on for no reason .
She obviously likes you as they normaly appear just before the M.O.T. :lol:
Only thing I can suggest you try is disconnect the battery and clean the connection under the seat and then see what happens:thumbs:
You maybe lucky other wise it may need the software to reset it

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes. Electronics, in general will tend to fail in hotter temperatures first, before going on to fail at colder temperatures. The reason is that when warm, gaps open up due to differences in the thermal expansion rate of the materials used. The camshaft sensor is a good example.

As mentioned above, the connector under the seats might just need re-seating or even a quick clean to make it work.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My 147 had had the airbag light on for two years before I bought it but some advice on here to disconnect the battery for 15 mins and unclip the yellow connector under the seat and replug before reconnecting the battery worked. It came on again when my brother fiddled around with the seat setting but went off again when I repeated the above.

Has to be worth a try, very simple fix if it works. I think later model cars reset themselves, mine is a 2006, but earlier ones may need resetting by a garage or someone with the cables and software.

M

·
0 Posts
Nope... I'd say most likely loose connector behind driers side trim in boot or under front seats will be most likely issue. Get it hooked up to multi ECU scan and rear airbag codes to be sure (don't sit in car).

Or just tighten little round metal sockets in boot, re-connect and cable tie or tape closed... should be two bight yellow wires behind boot trim at drivers side of boot going up towards roof.

Once they are sorted maybe remove and reconnect ones under seats (also yellow wire or plug). If you have a facelift light should go off when error fixed (or shortly after) if pre-facelift you'll need the software or someone local with it to reset the codes.

Hope this helps

John

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Remember that we also have forum members with 156/147 and GT's living quite happily in Middle East, like Qatar and UAE... Temperatures rise daily above 40+ celsius yet they don't report electrical issues.
Having said that, a battery on it's last legs will be affected by extraordinary heat and not just sub zero conditions.

As already said, likely cause is the connectors due to passenger's shoving things under the seat, like handbags :rolleyes: ... One of my bug bears when the wife does it!

Ipa contact cleaner, disconnected battery and a cable tie running between the plastic of both sides of the multi plugs to make sure it's secure does the trick;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

M

·
0 Posts
In most failure threads I'd say it's most often boot connectors for curtain airbags but seat connector is also common... if he sorts both it's not a bad idea even if only one is an issue :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In most failure threads I'd say it's most often boot connectors for curtain airbags but seat connector is also common... if he sorts both it's not a bad idea even if only one is an issue :)
Completely agree, all of mine are cable tied together. I also check them every six months to be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts