Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fast approaching 3 years of QV ownership and being honest it hasn't really lit my fire in the same way my 147 GTA did. It has also been surprisingly problematic, although has never broken down and left me stranded.

I'm now left wondering what'll replace it and I'm fairly certain it won't be another Giulietta QV. I've been looking at the BMW M135i and now the Mercedes A45 AMG (although the Merc might be a step too far in terms of price). Both cars are getting high praise in the motoring press and although they do have their flaws, they offer a level of performance which, quite simply, Alfa cannot match.

I could be tempted by a GTA Giulietta but the QV can't get all the power down through the front wheels as it is and considering the Giulia is supposed to be out next year there has been very little information otherwise I might be tempted depending on what engine variants are available.

It's likely that next year I could be driving a (gulp!) German machine :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
I'm fast approaching 3 years of QV ownership and being honest it hasn't really lit my fire in the same way my 147 GTA did. It has also been surprisingly problematic, although has never broken down and left me stranded.

I'm now left wondering what'll replace it and I'm fairly certain it won't be another Giulietta QV. I've been looking at the BMW M135i and now the Mercedes A45 AMG (although the Merc might be a step too far in terms of price). Both cars are getting high praise in the motoring press and although they do have their flaws, they offer a level of performance which, quite simply, Alfa cannot match.

I could be tempted by a GTA Giulietta but the QV can't get all the power down through the front wheels as it is and considering the Giulia is supposed to be out next year there has been very little information otherwise I might be tempted depending on what engine variants are available.

It's likely that next year I could be driving a (gulp!) German machine :eek:
Better cars at a higher price I guess but beware, a brand new BMW was the worst car I have ever had for problems!
Michael

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had a 335i, personally I'd go for the AMG. Good car all round spoilt by niggly issues.. I think it wouldn't be a far cry from the G. plus I'm not a fan of the 1 Series looks.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm with you on that Jon. My QV is fast becoming a pain in my side.

As soon as I can get rid of it I will. And I am seriously considering moving away from Alfa until there is something worth buying.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I was looking at a m135 when i bought my GQV. worked out alot more per month for the extra power. at the end of the day its rare you get to use it and the qv has enough for most occations. i have however got my spider tuning box now and just fitted. shall upload a review once its covered a few miles.

Unless a serious gta version comes out ill be looking at the new civic type r when its out. either that or a second hand M3

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at a m135 when i bought my GQV. worked out alot more per month for the extra power. at the end of the day its rare you get to use it and the qv has enough for most occations. i have however got my spider tuning box now and just fitted. shall upload a review once its covered a few miles.

Unless a serious gta version comes out ill be looking at the new civic type r when its out. either that or a second hand M3
I'll probably be leasing so the BMW isn't that much more expensive. I don't know about the looks but there's supposed to be a facelifted version coming next year - it couldn't be any worse could it?:lol:
The BM guys rate it though and say that it'll match an M3 in real world performance - there's also a rumour that it'll have a proper mechanical lsd option in the future too.

I haven't costed up the Merc yet but it'd probably be too expensive unless Mercedes do a stonking finance deal on it. Bloomin' quick though!

But, probably once I make my mind up to jump ship Alfa will bring out something special that's within my price range.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get the bmw - it's in a different speed league to the QV.

It's fugly but it makes a great noise and I enjoyed my test drive.

The a class is a weapon but its very very very shouty car IMO

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm sorry, don't care how fast that AMG is, the price is ridiculous! Saw it at Goodwood and well no thanks. My mouth dropped when I saw the price!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts
I thought the GQV had issues... I swapped it for an Insignia VXR 4x4 Nav Supersport. 335 horses, 0-60 in 5.5, 175mph top end. Loads of room, huge spec, bigger than the alfa, and the recaro's are lovely. But the floating discs are 2k for a pair, the tyres are £270 a corner (20's), it's had a new haldex (4 wheel drive diff) under warranty, but otherwise would have been £5k, and now needs a new prop shaft, which will be 3k. the dual mass fly wheel is on its way too, which i think has probably causes premature clutch wear. it's a 61 plate with 14k miles. the GQV was a 61 plate which had lots of niggles and a new gearbox, but was also on a 61 plate and did 40k in a year.

The grass isn't always greener!
A mate of mine has the A class 200 AMG sport which is basically just AMG styling, and it's gorgous, I'd love an A45. But bear in mind any highly strung car bulit to a price is always going to have some issues. For me, it's about the customer service you recieve when you have the issues. I've never experienced worse than VX, regardless of which dealer I go to, it seems.

·
Registered
33,176 Posts
I'm sorry, don't care how fast that AMG is, the price is ridiculous! Saw it at Goodwood and well no thanks. My mouth dropped when I saw the price!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's the idea; a guy on here was offered a massive discount on one . It's there to create the impression there's an expensive a class so they must be good . Sales will be a small proportion , just as a halo model. The rest will have a great monthly lease price .

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I'm with you on this one, although a tuned GQV. might tickle your fancy, there are some if us who want more but AR don't offer more and they don't say they will build a GGTA.

Check out Chriss Harris' review on these two cats you are interested in, its on YouTube.

Personally I'd wait for the new BMW M3 but I'm sure it'll be more than the AMG A45. The A45 is 4wd and that power will brake something down the line.

The BMW in my opinion is BMW'ish, it doesn't look good inside and outside but it fails serious add just like the AMG. I'd say shop around...why not get a 4c?

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you liked your GTA that much, why don't you try an Audi RS3. I've driven one a couple of times, and it's the same sort of beast. Not the best handling, but that engine is absolutely fantastic.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I agree, defiantly look at the rs3. My step dad has the current s4 and it is an absolute monster, I believe the rs3 has the same engine.
Went with my brother to look at the new merc cla and pulled up to what I assumed was a regular a class sport. Only on leaving did I realise it was an a45. must say I wasn't impressed considering its the range topper!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
RS3 has the 5 pot turbo. They are running mid 11 second 1/4 miles here in SA. But i'm sure you are not a 1/4 mile kinda guy! Chris Harris did comment on its horrendous understeer.

·
Registered
37,347 Posts
I would go with the Beemer. The current crop of Mercs don't do much for me, plus you have to put up with a foot operated "Handbrake" which is a PITA with a manual box.

The 1 series styling has aged very well I think, they actually look better now than when they came out.

How about a 335i Coupe though? Better looking than the 1 series, a bit cheaper and performance is about the same as the weight is very similar despite being physically bigger.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently alfa will be going back to strictly RWD for the next models (whenever they might come), if that might persuade you?

There has been a lot of speculation on the Giulia being launched next year but I was reading here - Alfa Romeo Switching to RWD Only - about the plans for rwd but now saying the Giulia won't be out until 2016 :rolleyes:. Too long for me to wait.

I would go with the Beemer. The current crop of Mercs don't do much for me, plus you have to put up with a foot operated "Handbrake" which is a PITA with a manual box.

The 1 series styling has aged very well I think, they actually look better now than when they came out.

How about a 335i Coupe though? Better looking than the 1 series, a bit cheaper and performance is about the same as the weight is very similar despite being physically bigger.
I've seen a few of the new A-Class and quite like the look of them. Not a huge fan of the look of the 1-series but there's supposed to be a facelift coming next year which is meant to be better.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the 335i and it could be an option.

Overall, I'm still undecided. I could still end up buying a diesel Mito and an 06/07 Maserati Gransport :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts