Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147 Ducati Corse 1.9JTDm

I've had vibrations when accelerating hard in anything above second gear since I bought the car. Recently had both spiders in the CVs changed and expected that would fix it, but it's just as bad.

I've also experienced quite a strong shudder from the engine when starting it from cold, as well as difficulties getting in to third gear from time to time.

Does these all sound like they could be symptoms of a worn engine mount or stabiliser? If so, any tips on checking it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took a slow mo video of the top engine stabiliser whilst starting the car:

Should it be able to move that much?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yeah that looks very much mount related the top stabiliser link seems to have a fair bit of movement. Does it also have a low down torque reaction link gearbox to subframe like a 159? If so I would be checking that over

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if it has that. Would I be able to see it from the top without taking the battery tray or anything out?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
No it’s underneath low down off rear of gearbox or engine to the subframe. Seem to remember my 1.9 159 it was off the sump

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I changed the top engine stabiliser, and it's still shuddering under acceleration :(

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? As mentioned, driveshaft spiders and DMF changed recently.

I've still got a hunch that it might be engine mount related, so any advice on where they all are / how to check them would be received gratefully.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
So I changed the top engine stabiliser, and it's still shuddering under acceleration :(

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? As mentioned, driveshaft spiders and DMF changed recently.

I've still got a hunch that it might be engine mount related, so any advice on where they all are / how to check them would be received gratefully.
Does the engine still rock like in the video. Could be the rear engine mount? 147's have four mounts. There's the dog bone / stabilizer which is in your video, one that attaches to the underside of the chassis leg (timing belt side), the gearbox mount that attaches to the other chassis leg and the rear mount which attaches to the underside of the car at the bottom of the bulkhead. See if a local garage can get it up on a ramp for you to check the mounts before you spend any money. It could be something simple, best of luck. :thumbs:

If it is an engine mount, these are the parts you might need - https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=14&secondary=34&opts=162&term=Alfa_Romeo_147_1.9_JTD_Engine/Gearbox_Mounts -

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the engine still rock like in the video. Could be the rear engine mount? 147's have four mounts. There's the dog bone / stabilizer which is in your video, one that attaches to the underside of the chassis leg (timing belt side), the gearbox mount that attaches to the other chassis leg and the rear mount which attaches to the underside of the car at the bottom of the bulkhead. See if a local garage can get it up on a ramp for you to check the mounts, don't throw money at parts until you can see where the problem is. It could be something simple, best of luck. :thumbs:

If it is an engine mount, these are the parts you might need - https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=14&secondary=34&opts=162&term=Alfa_Romeo_147_1.9_JTD_Engine/Gearbox_Mounts -
Super helpful - thankyou!

I'll check whether the engine still rocks later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts