Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to the NEC in a couple of weeks for the Classic Car Show with my daughter. I have just checked the rail fare to see if I can save myself the misery of the M6. It's a 200 mile round-trip so I reckon I'll need about £30 quid's worth of gas and it takes about 2 hours each way door-to-door.

The rail fare for the two of us from Piccadilly is £50 for an open return. Trains don't run from my local station at weekends so I'll have to drive to Whitefield, park up and get the metrolink into Manchester (which is about £6) then walk up to the station as a result of works in the city centre. By the time I've done all of that, the journey will be somewhere over 3 hours and will have cost nigh-on twice the price of driving.

And they wonder why we won't leave our cars behind.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since you know you're going well in advance you should be able to get a better deal. And don't just assume a return is cheapest, sometimes 2 singles works out far better.

There are some great deals on the railways, but they're not usually well advertised.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you know you're going well in advance you should be able to get a better deal. And don't just assume a return is cheapest, sometimes 2 singles works out far better.

There are some great deals on the railways, but they're not usually well advertised.
Two singles at fixed times is approximately a quid cheaper unless we don't get the train back until about 7.10pm.

It's a shame because I hate the M6 with a passion but even factoring in the cost of the toll road it's still cheaper by car before you even start looking at the convenience factor.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two singles at fixed times is approximately a quid cheaper unless we don't get the train back until about 7.10pm.
Fair enough. Always worth a look though. Can get trips up to Scotland and the like for £20 and stuff like that. (Obviously the media prefer to tell you it's £250 or whatever, quoting a first class open return :rolleyes:)

Sometimes the cars better, sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Rail fares are crazy.

But the real laugh is £4 for one stop on the London Underground if you haven't got an Oyster card.

Family of 4 from Victoria to Green Park (and back) £32.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I took mini me on the train to the Toon on Thursday. Its 20 years since I was on a train and he wanted to go.

Anyhoo, £11.70 return and he was free (under 5). It took half an hour to Central and 5 mins on the metro to the centre of town and that cost £1.80.

Its about 70 miles round trip, and a quid an hour to park.

End result..... I'll take the train next time I have him on my own.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
It is very difficult for public transport to compete with the personal freedom that comes
with a car or bike. It's also difficult for it to compete cost wise particularly if you can
fill every seat in your car.

How much longer we can or will allow personal freedom to outweigh social cost I'm not
sure. Sadly the only way to address the balance will be to put personal transport back
into the hands of the very wealthy. A form of elitism that will carry its own social cost :(

I quite enjoy travelling on public transport from time to time but I would not like to have
to go back 30 years or so when I relied on it totally. That was miserable :(

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is very difficult for public transport to compete with the personal freedom that comes
with a car or bike. It's also difficult for it to compete cost wise particularly if you can

How much longer we can or will allow personal freedom to outweigh social cost I'm not
sure. Sadly the only way to address the balance will be to put personal transport back
into the hands of the very wealthy. A form of elitism that will carry its own social cost :(

I quite enjoy travelling on public transport from time to time but I would not like to have
I know exactly where you're coming from. I'd rather sit on a train reading my book and sipping a cup of coffee than travel on our congested motorways. I'd be happy to pay a small premium for that convenience. However, in this case the cost is about £20 plus an extra 2 hours of travel and I can't do the journey without using a car.

I'm put in mind of those Top Gear challenges where James and Richard get within 2 miles of where they need to be then lose because they can only use public transport.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts

Precisely.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Once you get out of town, the public transport infrastructure is no where near capable of coping, let alone being a viable alternative to your own personal transport.

I bus'd a lot in Dumfries, where the buses are regular and fairly cheap, but aint been in a bus in 10 years as the out of town network in Northumberland is dire.

I have to say, I do give a little more thought to sharing journeys over the last few years. I bike to town a lot now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts