Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remove the plenum and front coil cover, and maybe the fuel rails. What kind if money would a spray shop expect for a coat of shiny metallc grey or silver, gloss red lettering and a coat of gloss laquer? Just so I'm prepared.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I paid about £200 all told but that included polishing up the chrome inlet pipes as well as powder coating the coil cover, plenum, both rocker cover, the part above the suspension turret and the big piece that sits between the plenum and cam belt cover.

They also painted the fuel rails and cambelt cover but didnt powder coat them as the oven would have damaged the rubber parts. I could have removed them and replaced them but it would have added to the cost so left them alone.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm gonna get mine done in a month when the engine is out, but need to take the car down to my local powdercoaters and see what can be done, my mechanic will remove everything while the cambelt and other bits are getting done. I'm gonna try and do as much as I can so any ideas are welcome. Want to get the engine block sprayed too hopefully.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Did you remove the parts yourself for them to do?
I waited until my cambelt service was due so that involved removing most of the bits anyway and I just asked the garage to take off the extra bits I wanted painting as well.

Wanted to get it done for ages but didnt want the expense of doing it just to paint it so had to wait 4 years as the cambelt was changed just before I bought it!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remove the plenum and front coil cover, and maybe the fuel rails. What kind if money would a spray shop expect for a coat of shiny metallc grey or silver, gloss red lettering and a coat of gloss laquer? Just so I'm prepared.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rattle cans anyone?...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You done it yourself Chris?? I'm always one for DIY I must say but only if it looks good. Tinkering with my engine as we speak might just have a go!!
Yeah, several times. Never had much of an issue with rattle cans allthough one version needed a repaint after 2 years. Think it had something to do with the primer.

Some pics of the latest engine clean up are here

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/382027-147-gta-progress-thread.html

JUst don't look too closely at the rest of the engine - I'm getting to that...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, several times. Never had much of an issue with rattle cans allthough one version needed a repaint after 2 years. Think it had something to do with the primer.

Some pics of the latest engine clean up are here

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/382027-147-gta-progress-thread.html

JUst don't look too closely at the rest of the engine - I'm getting to that...
Don't worry mate I'm not judging!! As an alfa owner I know there's always something needing done... Looks like that's today and tomorrow's job sorted then!! Like the GTA btw :thumbs:

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Vendor
45,294 Posts
Looks good! Is there any do's/dont's when taking off cam covers/plenum etc?
Don't drop stuff inside :lol:

Make a note of where all the bolts go, and make sure while the camcovers are off you keep the top end of the engine covered up with something.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to remove the ecu (it's bolted to the back of the plenum) so make sure the keys aren't in the ignition and disconnect the battery before you do any thing else.

Youll likly need a new gasket for the throttle body and you'll probably be tempted to clean the inside of it, don't. It's easy to kill them.

It's difficult to refit the cam covers without dislodging the gaskets, there are tabs around their circumference that give you some indication if they're still in the correct position. It's much easier to refit the covers if you take the intake runners off but how far do you want to go?

The clips that hold the wiring connectors onto the coil packs like to go PING and it's worthwhile making sure they're seated correctly when you put it back together.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Vht does the wrinkle paint and caliper paint set on ebay. If you just want a standard colour then use any hightemp.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts