Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on what a reasonable 105 GTV 1750 might cost these days? :confused: I'm starting to dream about getting a 1972 model, it would need to be fairly good condition for regular use, but not concours. Which year does the UK road tax exemption strecth too? Do all GTV 2000's have the elongated rear indicator lenses :( , or was that a change associated with a particular model year? Any advise would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
All 2000 GTV's have higher wheel arches and the big rear lights with reverses built in. The 1300 & 1600 Juniors adopted the same shell in 1974. 2000's also have a different dash and grill, neither of which is as pretty as the earlier cars. In their favour, they are newer, have the most oooomph (possibly at the cost of sweet revving) and have a limited slip diff and better ventilation/heating.

As for prices!! Currently on the market there are £1,000 projects and £40,000 GTA's.
As a rule of thumb, £7,000 buys good condition, sometimes restored, minters. There are plenty of good driveable cars WELL below that price though, but will probably need some TLC along the way.

Keep an eye on www.aroc-uk.com classifieds, and www.classicalfa.com .

I think tax exempt stops at 1972, but I am not sure of the ins-and-outs of it.

Get hold of a good buying guide and read it.
Notable points are
- synchro on 2nd gear
- noisy/hard to select reverse
- head gasket
- noisy timing chain
- check brake servos
- vibrating prop
- rear bump stops fall off
- worn rear bushes
- worn steering arms
- out of tune carbs
- rust
- rust
- rust
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Over here a good GTV will cost about £7,000 to £8,500.

The 1750 is the best engine to have, good performance and likes to rev better then the 2000. And the 1750 has the nicest interior as well (although I like the interior of the sixties Giulia Sprint GT al lot as well).

And Rick forgot to mention that rust is one of the weak points.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
selespeed said:
And Rick forgot to mention that rust is one of the weak points.
Well spotted Hans.

Rust

Front crossmember
Front anti roll bar mounts
Front bulkhead
Front wings
Jacking points
Cover plates in wheelarches
Sills
Rear arches
Rear crumple zone
Floor
Doors
Fuel Tank
Boot floor
Door handle mounts
Bootlids
Bonnet
Round all lights
B posts
Inner wings
Drain tray under wipers
Headlights
All chrome
Roof

Other than that it's fine.
:cool:

Oh - and the 2000 bumpers are stainless steel!
:D

·
Registered
807 Posts
I paid £4,800 a year ago, the vendor had wanted £6,000. Mine is a 1972 Gt Junior, same bodyshell as the 1750 GTV but with single headlights (still has black grill with stainless strip), interior is a cheaper version of the 1750 GTV but doesn't have carpets (mold gathers), a central wooden console (a bit cheap looking in my mind) or the seats with a backrest for the passenger only, it also has a plastic steering wheel. The 1300 engine has been replaced with a 2000GTV engine, as well as the back axle/diff which means I also have a limited slip diff. My brakes are also from the GTV twin servos. The bumpers are also stainless steel, it has smaller rear lights and no rear fog or reverse lights. 1972 is the last year for tax exempt, my cousin had a 1973 MGBGT on a M plate which failed to get exemption.

I've had some rust removed in the last year, but have thought it that expensive, and most replacement panels are readily available.

I would think the mechanics (very little and simple electrics) if looked after are nearly as reliable as modern stuff, if its not going to be your main car you won't drive it when you shouldn't, i.e. low on oil, bad weather etc.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Do you worry about water getting trapped behind the rubber floor covering Alfatastic??
Do yours have the Alfa logos embossed in them??

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RicksAlfas said:
Mave?

Coooooo-Weeeeee Mave??

MAVE!!!!!!!!

No, I think he's out cold....
:rolleyes:
Oops, sorry, someone came over and asked me to do some work! :rant:
Thanks for the advice guys, I've got a 145QV at the moment, always fancied a GTV but haven't got a garage. However... moving soon to a house with a garage, my other half is getting herself a 306 diesel which we'll be using as an everyday car, and I can probably stretch to £7K. I thought I'd do a quick sanity check before getting too excited, sounds like my expections are reasonable :) Vroom vroom :D :D :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
The mats lift up very easily (waters not been too much of a problem as I've avoided going out in the rain, and I remember to check for water under the mats after she has a bath/wash) and they do have the alfa logo on them, though I may replace the drivers eventually as it has a few tears around the pedal holes (there about £110 pounds a pair!).

Nick

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
alfatastic said:
The mats lift up very easily
Cheers Nick.
That was the bit I wasn't sure about - I thought they might be fitted like carpets.

If you go here: Click there is a little diagram of them near the bottom of the page. What goes over the transmission tunnel? These look like footwells only?

Ta.

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to barge in, it's my first time.......so I'm not sure I'm in the right place. I have a 1750 GTV LHD v good nick but not for sale unless I someone makes me an offer I can't refuse! My reason for being here is that I can't for the life of me find the oil filler hole for the gearbox on my 155 V6, anyone got a clue? I have the manual to hand and a torch but it still alludes me.

Matt

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Hi Mave, £7000.00 should easily get you a 1750 GTV in excellent condition. I picked mine up for less than half of that, just a month ago. OK it's not perfect, but it's sound in body and Mech, even if I'm not sound in Body and mind... ;)

This was the advert BTW, don't bother ringing it's sold. :p
http://www.alfisti.co.uk/usedClassicframe.htm

The top dealers like John Williams, etc will be looking for 7K or that sort of money, but private sale's and smaller more reasonable dealers will be a lot less.
I won't go spouting on about how great they are to drive and all that, because as yet I haven't had enough experience, having only done one journey, but it is well documented that they are one of the best affordable classics, and the 1750 GTV is the pick off the bunch. Apart from the GTA's....but you might need a mortgage for one of those. ;)
Go round and look at a few, kick the tyres etc, and Good Luck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Rick,
There are 2 bits of a vinyl material that cover the transmission tunnel, a padded and quilted one around the gearstick and a padded one that goes from the gearbox arond the handbrake to the back seats. The main problem with the mats are that to remove them completely you have to to take the front seats out.

Nick

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
mave said:
QUWhich year does the UK road tax exemption strecth too? QUOTE]

Mave, forgot to mention this but any Car BUILT before December 1972, is free of Road Tax. If a Car was registered in January 1973, but built in November 1972, providing the factory records are available you can escape Tax.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
alfatastic said:
Rick,
There are 2 bits of a vinyl material that cover the transmission tunnel, a padded and quilted one around the gearstick and a padded one that goes from the gearbox arond the handbrake to the back seats. The main problem with the mats are that to remove them completely you have to to take the front seats out.

Nick

Thanks Nick.
Much appreciated.
I DO like quilted bits in sports cars.
:cool: :eek:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts