1 - 13 of 13 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after spending 9 days with this Hertz monster,
what is there to say?

Loads.

This car has delivered the best fun on a road trip. Ever.

The ZHZ is a limited edition Corvette C6. 500 of which were produced for Hertz in 2008 and
are available for rent from some main cities in the US.

As with the standard C6, it's specs are impressive:

Engine: 6.2L V8
Power: 430 HP @ 5,900 RPM
Torque: 424 lb·ft @ 4,600 RPM
Acceleration: 0-60 MPH in 4.3 seconds
Top Speed: 190 MPH (306 KPH)

The box is a 6 speed auto with flappy paddle option. To be honest we hardly used this at all.

The car is also equipped with adjustable ferro-magnetic suspension with "Touring" and "Sport" settings.
We mostly left it on "Touring"

The car is bright yellow with black centre striping, a discreet tail spoiler, side slat grilling and has a lot
of ZHZ interior details. But otherwise is a standard coupe with a targa top that easily comes off and slots
into mounting points in the boot. A one man job and easy to do when parking up or leaving the car with a valet. ;)

We picked the car up from Hertz at San Francisco airport in the afternoon and from the moment it came into view
from behind a large SUV of the kind I usually hire, it was love at first site.

Plugging our first nights stay into the Hertz satnav, which comes as standard with no extra cost
(although we did use my TomTom on the trip due to better hotel info and 3D co-piloting features) we headed
out gently to the first night stopover in Los Gatos.

Driving the car was a piece of cake. Driving it like a standard car you hardly get over 2000rpm (Redline starts at 6500rpm)
The ride is firm but not overly and although the steering isn't extremely precise it's not that bad.

Californian highways are terrible and the car does bump and shake over the nasty Californian road surfaces,
but not more than you'd expect from other cars.

The view over the bonnet is impressive and makes you grin.

So far so good. One gripe was that the brake pedal is set much higher than the gas. Annoying, but you
get over it. (I think that is pretty standard on a lot of US autos.)

After a night in Los Gato the main first half roadtrip was ahead: Highway 1 down the Pacific coast.
The weather cleared, the Targa came off and we went for it.

It's mostly a single carriage road that snakes around the coast and the car proved to be a complete giggle.
But the real eye opener was when overtaking opportunities arose.
You cannot compare the kind of power that is available with a "normal" car.

On a stretch of road where you'd concider overtaking 2 or three cars, you just floor the accelerator, an angry
engine growl builds with a throaty exhaust roar and the car is suddenly at pant wetting speeds.
Five or 6 cars later you are pulling back in laughing/crying/cheering.

And you just never grow tired of it. From then-on-in you know a 6.2l V8 will blow past almost anything else
on the road. No turbo lag, no hesitation, just instant power whenever you command. Bloody brilliant!!!

In general the car was great, okay the interior is not European, but it's okay. Yes the bodywork is a bit
plasticy in the boot and roof area but it does make it light.

Seats were great, kinda webbing springing on the seatbase but supportive and no backaches to report at all.

Boot space is fine although we did pack light so even with the targa stowed in the boot there was room.
(Two main bags <5" deep can sit easily between the seat backs and the roof, and there is still about a 5" gap
beneath the roof. ) Putting things on top of the roof is probably not recommended, as witnessed by or 17K miles
hire car, which had quite a few roof scratches and 1 small split in the plastic targa.

So I got to drive all the way to Vegas due to my mates inability to remember his driving licence. :)lol: Okay by me!)

So we continued our second day by leaving the "1" and cutting across through Paso Robles and Bakersfield and hitting
the I40. First stop and fuel was near Barstow. So fuel wise we didn't really measure but a tank of gas was about $40 a pop.

Third day we continued down I40 into Vegas were we camped out at The Mirage for 3 days and left our new
toy with the Valet.

Leaving Las Vegas we had a FedEx delivered licence so we stopped at McCarren airport to add the second driver for free.
(Thanks Hertz!) Thus we started back to San Francisco via Death Valley and Fresno.

Again the targo top was off and the factor 75 and baseball caps were applied due to the light toasting we'd received on the 2nd day. :eek:

This was probably the day where we pushed the car as far as we dared. Open desert road flashed by at 130-140 mph
on some stretches and scarily there was even more power available that we did not tap into.

The wind roar was quite high above 70mph and the targa went back on for this reason, as well as the 38 deg heatwave.

Overnight in Fresno we worked out that I'd miscalculated the hotel booking and we had an "extra" night to fill, so we
decided to head up into Napa the next day for a night of good food and wine.

This was again in heatwave and we had to keep the targa on.

Next day after a morning by the pool recovering from a hangover we headed down into SF on the 101 after
some twisty country vineyard driving.

We finally hit some tunnels (The short one north of the Golden Gate Bridge and another just to the south) and blatted
our baby for what was to be the last times. We laughed like drains at the noise we'd made!! :cheese:

Then we circled down the Skyline Boulevard through the clouds, pit stopped for the last refuel and then back to SFO
to leave our new best friend back to it's home.

It was a sad a tearful day. We felt empty without the 'vette.

A couple of days partying in SF did not fill the hole that we'd created by handing the car back. [sigh]

So in answer to the question, "Best mainstream hire car ever?": A definite "YES!"

In all, the best road trip to date. Don't know how long Hertz will keep these puppies available, but I would urge
anyone going to the US to take one of these out for a spin. If only for the day.

We saw 3 others in the SF bay area, but non seemed to have been pounded like ours.
(The front was just a carpet of smeared bugs when we handed it back. :D)

Picasa Web Albums - Nev - SF-Vegas Road...

:inlove:

How anyone can dis US cars after driving this modern Corvette for a bit I do not know.

Yes it's a big yank car, but then the US is a big big country. Would I personally buy one? Hmmm... if
I lived in the US, this would be on the top of the list. In the south of France? Possible. If I commuted down
the M4 every day? Probably not. But that doesn't make it a bad car by a long stretch.

One thing that was annoying about the car was the keyless starter. Very easy to misplace the RFID "Key"
and you don't have to slot it into the dash like the current Alfas. When you pressed "Start" though: :D:D:D:D What a noise! :cool:
The door/boot locking/unlocking was kookie as well, but that's normal on most US cars.

Footnote the "'vette wave":

We discovered a real Corvette subculture on our travels.
Gas station stops always had someone coming over to chat
about the car. And when we passed another corvette coming
the other way, there was a wave and a nod 9 times out of 10

:cool:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Nice one mate. My sort of dream trip machine when I was a young man. Lucky snapstick that you are.:D Good post and piccies Nev.:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Sounds like a "must do" Nev. I mooted the idea to MrsJim for our proposed Florida trip next year as JimJr will be 5 and a good age for Disney and such. I got a BIG :rolleyes: but I ain't giving up yet!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had to be done, ZF.

I'm no longer a spring chicken after this trip was over.

;)

Even if it's only for a day, Jim. They are
not that expensive. Especially if you prepay
the booking. ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Last Vroomm! Vroomm! I remember was delivering a 'Vette Sting Ray, white fibre glass Fleur-di-Lis, with black leather for a customer back in about '69. Enter Brut cologne time!:lol: Even petrol smelt much better than that. Keep nagging and pestering GTV Jim:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Glad you enjoyed yourself - and nice photo's. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Have to say that in America American cars make a lot of sense - but I wouldn't like the Corvette for use in Epsom's multi-storey; or a narrow country lane. ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Raw unadulterated monster motoring chaps, in a Yank Tank that says 'Come on then, Bust me if you can?' Wish I had of been with Nev.:(: True, you would take up the complete lane width when heading toward Slapton Leighs from Totnes, but one of those beasts would of frightened any farmers on tractors I reckon?:lol: :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take a current Gen 'Vette over any of it's European rivals, in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I enjoyed reading you trip report !
I haven't been to the US ,but in my last trip to Germany I actually realised that it's a pretty common sighting,so if the Germans buy it,it can't be bad at all !

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need a new car.

I'm going to start looking at 2nd hand C6s......

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You should be so lucky Nev! If you get one I'll be as excited as you, but whereas your excitement will be tangible mine will just be dreaming! :lol: Waiting on pictures I am.:thumbs: Good Luck.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We'll see what the prices are first ZF, but I'm at a loss as to find something
to replace the Brera otherwise.....

I've seen a few around here both C5s (one just this morning) and C6s.
So that aren't so rare as to be totally ludicrous....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts