Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got beaten by what turned out to be a modified Corsa OPC, downpipe and software and flames came out of the exhaust.

Straight line racing isn't really my scene but I was having a particularly crap Sat so I went for a drive in the evening. Heading back I came across this OPC so I teased it a bit, the noise of the v6 generally works well for this.

Short straight before heading downhill and I was flat in 4th, we were neck and neck by 170 odd he was ahead.

Straight section of road, again nothing in it really, I was changing at 6200 rpm odd.

Must admit I think I may have had the upper hand at 200+ plus but really didn't have the space to do those sort of speeds without taking risks which I deem to be too high.

Corners I think may have been a different story....

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If it was the latest Corsa OPC (in standard form something like 150kW, I believe?) and tuned to the point of shooting flames, I'm not surprised that it would beat a standard 3.0 GTV.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
why change at 6200rpm though? If I remember correctly, my GTV(exahsut/intake/GTA cams/Unichip) redlined at 7300rpm:biglaugh: that's a whole 1000rpm's you could have used to keep up.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
A guy down here on our Alfa owner Whatsapp group says that his sister's OPC Corsa made 235kw with mods.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
A guy down here on our Alfa owner Whatsapp group says that his sister's OPC Corsa made 235kw with mods.
Is he sure that's kW and not bhp?

Although, if you mod something enough, you can reach mad power figures. I'd strongly doubt a power increase from 150-odd kW to 235 kW through just "normal" mods like a different exhaust, hot cams and software. With a much bigger turbo and that which goes along with it, possibly even an engine capacity upgrade, I could believe a 235 kW figure from a Corsa OPC.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

Although, if you mod something enough, you can reach mad power figures. I'd strongly doubt a power increase from 150-odd kW to 235 kW through just "normal" mods like a different exhaust, hot cams and software. With a much bigger turbo and that which goes along with it, possibly even an engine capacity upgrade, I could believe a 235 kW figure from a Corsa OPC.
:biglaugh:

On car whats-app groups talk is BIG I find
Lol. The same guy claimed to be able to spin his 17 inch wheels clad in 225-40 rubber up to fifth gear in an NA 2.0 116 Giulietta. I'm not exaggerating. This is what he said.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why change at 6200rpm though? If I remember correctly, my GTV(exahsut/intake/GTA cams/Unichip) redlined at 7300rpm:biglaugh: that's a whole 1000rpm's you could have used to keep up.
Stock the 3.0 makes power at 6200 odd so its really not worth revving much higher.

I have toyed with the idea of fitting cams but scrapped the idea.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stock the 3.0 makes power at 6200 odd so its really not worth revving much higher

Two factors come into play,

1. The higher you rev the higher you are up the power curve after changing to a higher gear
2. The shorter ratio of the current gear will result in more torque to the road even beyond the torque peak compared to being closer to torque peak in the next higher gear.

There are exceptions - as always - but for various specific reasons revving your specific model car - GTV 3.0 stock - to just before the limiter will always make it faster on the stopwatch, regardless of what it feels like.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

you can make big numbers with turbos for relatively little money. whether it will be reliable is another question. But the power can be made.

Running big exhaust, intercooler, and mapped for octane booster...yes big power.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Stock the 3.0 makes power at 6200 odd so its really not worth revving much higher.

I have toyed with the idea of fitting cams but scrapped the idea.
You're thinking wrong. The stock GTV makes max power at 6200rpm but when you change gear you drop 2000 revs and end up at 4200rpm where you're falling right off your power curve and have to wait for your kick at 4500rpm.

Rev the nuts off, take it to 7000rpm, drop to 5000rpm in the power zone and feel the burn... :smoker:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Oh...so there's a Alfa Owner whatsapp group...and I'm not on it:censored:

·
Registered
56 Posts
The OPC/VXR's corsa's ain't no slouch, simple remap will take them to 220-230 HP(171KW) fit larger turbo( Astra K04, better injectors( to stop P4 failure) and a full exhaust system and you could see circa 260-270HP(200KW) in something which doesn't weight all that much. Cornering is actually one of the corsa's strong points especially out the box if its a newer one with the Bilstien shocks/ springs, gripper diff and brembo brakes as standard they do handle like they are on rails and with the turbo corner exit speeds will be higher than what the GTV could achieve in reality.

Chances are it was just a std OPC with a decat pipe fitted( vxrs do tend to spit flames with a decat as they run on the safe side of rich)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Respect for admitting a loss. Not a lot of guys who are always willing to say sorry guys, i lost that one, instead of making up tall tales to cover it up. The thing about racing whether it road or track there is always someone faster than you.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts