Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my front brakes tomorrow and thought of changing the brake fluid at the same time. I know it hasn't been done in a while and the brakes are a little spongy and would like to sharpen them up. I know the method of just sucking out the fluid in the reservoir, replacing with fresh and then bleeding all 4 calipers. Is there a set way of doing this like offside rear, nearside rear and so on or do you just do it one by one ? Also is this a very thorough way of bleeding the brakes or is there a better way?

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
Each brake has its own unique line from the ABS system, so I don't think the order makes much difference (happy to be corrected on that though :) ).

Just make sure you don't let the level drop low otherwise you'll get air into the ABS and that can be a nightmare to get out.

Also, remember to bleed the clutch too as that fluid is probably original!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Each brake has its own unique line from the ABS system, so I don't think the order makes much difference (happy to be corrected on that though :) ).

Just make sure you don't let the level drop low otherwise you'll get air into the ABS and that can be a nightmare to get out.

Also, remember to bleed the clutch too as that fluid is probably original!!
Thanks David, I'm gonna buy the 'Eezi bleed' kid from Halfords which looks much easier than having someone on the brake pedal and the other bleeding. How do you bleed the clutch fluid ??

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
same way as the brakes: either with an eezi bleed or with someone pushing the clutch pedal. there's a bleed nipple on the slave cilinder on top of the box under the battery.

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
I'm gonna buy the 'Eezi bleed' kid from Halfords which looks much easier than having someone on the brake pedal and the other bleeding.
To be honest, I wouldn't use one of those. They are an easy way to blow air in and get you very deep in a hole.

Find a friend and do it the normal way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got someone to give me a hand now so won't bother with the eezi bleed kit, I did google them and they've got very mixed reviews.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
the vacuum pump kits are good. even better if you buy a 12v vacuum pump and hook it up to that kit. makes bleeding brakes/clutch effortless

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
you could also run a bit of hose from the bleed nipple into a container with some fresh fluid, then just pump normally and add fluid to the reservoir as needed the container acts as an air lock: it can get out but not back in.

easier if you have help though, but that way you can do it alone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get some friends/family to help. I was in the trade for years and never found a device that was as good as a bloke/lass topping up the fluid, a bloke/lass pumping the pedal and a bloke cracking the bleed nipples and watching for bubbles in the bleed pipe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts