Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I have got the dreaded steering grind/whine noise, leading me to believe (I hope) that I need to change the reservoir and fluid.

My car is the 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso (07/08). It has 74,000 miles on the clock. Upon checking the fluid, it has the red. Having read plenty on here about changing to green and the problems that brings, I have decided to stick to red. I just want to check if the fluid I’m buying is ok to put in. I’m looking at buying the TRIPLE QX ATF Dexron III fluid. Is this fine to use?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes the red fluid is dextron 2 or 3 auto box fluid, its a low spec oil so any brand will be fine, and I would stick with the red fluid if thats whats in there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the whining is usually caused by the filter being dislodged and causing bubbles to be formed in the fluid which make the noise as they pass thru the system. take the top off the reservoir when it is running and see if the fluid looks still or is frothy looking if frothy change the reservoir as well only cost about £35

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the whining is usually caused by the filter being dislodged and causing bubbles to be formed in the fluid which make the noise as they pass thru the system. take the top off the reservoir when it is running and see if the fluid looks still or is frothy looking if frothy change the reservoir as well only cost about £35
Will be doing exactly that. There was a good how to guide on a previous thread for changing the reservoir that I’ll be following.

Got the reservoir for £33 and the fluid from Euro for £25 for 5 litres with discount code. Happy days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So having had a little look, the noise seems to get louder if I press on the bottom left of the engine cover. I can provide a video showing this if needed. Is this still connected to the reservoir problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I can’t believe it worked.

I swapped out the old reservoir for a new one. The steering feels new and the horrific grinding/whining noise is gone.

I stuck with red fluid, as I don’t want to exaggerate any problems by changing to green.

Thanks for the help guys. Oh, and if he ever reads this thread, thanks to Doogie for his incredible how to guide from a thread in 2011.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts