Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the 2nd most asked question on the forum, but i am currently looking at the Fiat Lubricant Tutela ZC75 Synthetic on Shop4Parts (it doesn't say what grade on the conainer),

The workshop manual says Tutela ZC75 Synth 75w-90.

But after looking at Alfa Workshop the Petronas Tutela ZC75 Synth is 75w-80 but it is listed for my car

Sort of confused as i want to go by the workshop vehicle spec...

here is the two links on what i am looking at;
Alfa Romeo 156 Gear box oils
https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=72&sku=513

If anyone has a better/ more suitable product ten i'm all ears, i just want the right fluid for my car

Thank you :D

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
The spec of ZC75 changed over the years, it was originally 75W90.

There are plenty of GL5 spec 75W90 oils around to suit all budgets. I've had Redline 75W90NS in mine for many years, but it is at the higher end of the budget range!

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
Is it okay to use either of those Tutela ZC75 synth? Think they are the same grade.
Your two links both point to the same oil.
Petronas have owned "FL Selenia" for several years, but the branding is only just starting to trickle through.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your two links both point to the same oil.
Yeah I thought so, judging by the packaging.

Do is that the correct product for my gearbox David? I'm kind of bemused by the oil viscosity grading, howcomes it's changed from 75w-90 to 75w-80? Will this have negative effects?

And in your opinion David, what gearbox oil do you recommend?
Ta

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump,

Still a bit stumped guys, i want to get the Tutela ZC75 Synth still...

anyone recommend a better gearbox oil suited for my car?

Many thanks

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
anyone recommend a better gearbox oil suited for my car?
Redline 75W90NS
Motul Gear 300 75W90

etc..

As with everything, it comes down to budget. But as there is only 2L required it doesn't bump the cost up by much in real terms to get the best.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you David, much appreciated, but i need the definitive answer... is that Tutela ZC75 Synth the wrong gear oil for my gearbox?

Thank you

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
It was the right one when the manual was printed...!, but I'd be nervous putting 75W80 in a box spec'd for 75W90.
ZC75 was originally 75W90, then dropped to 75W85 and is currently 75W80.
The later 147 & GT manuals list "TECHNYX" instead of the ZC75 that the earlier manuals had, possibly as a result of the change of the ZC75 spec.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, i finally went for this: Valvoline GL-5 75W90 synthetic blend, got a good deal at eurocarparts, got 2x 1L (2Litres) for £23.99 original price £14.99 Per 1L.

Hope this helps to anyone choosing correct gear oil.

Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just go to Opie oils and stick in your reg no. to get a pretty full list of suitable lubricants . Opie is oilman on this forum.

I'm pretty certain I used 2l of this, (though I bought 3l) in my 147 Sport Q2.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My Handbook (2001 1.8TS manual G'box) says 75W80 GL-5. Eurocarparts just delivered 2 litres to me today , at 50% off !! Stock number is 522770202. The 75W90 might be okay for the summer, but I would imagine shifting might be difficult on a cold morning unless you wait a minute or two for the box to wake-up.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I'm running 75w/85 Fuchs Sintopoid in the TS and I'll get this to do change in the JTS.

All are rated 75w (for winter) so should all be much the same at low temperatures. The other number is how viscous it is at whatever temperature (I don't know about what temperatures certification for gear oils is carried out at). The high number simply means it thins out slightly less at raised temperatures. On that score, a 90 weight is not given the FE (fuel efficient) rating due to slightly increased drag but probably offers higher gear tooth protection (pressure and shear forces).

I think any oil which offers the correct protection is probably fine to use. There is probably an efficiency/protection balance so a thinner oil probably needs to be of higher quality to work safely, I think.

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
The biggest issue to be cautious of is that the TS/JTS boxes were spec’d with GL5, but the V6/JTD boxes were spec’d with GL4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts