Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On ebay looking for original quality new headgasket, always thought my car was a 932, but seller on ebay reported using my reg number that i have a different engine number on that reg number, engine code , and that gasket costs more? Can anyone assist on this? Not keen on ordering it online now, not keen on listing my reg number on here chaps, hope someone can help with definitive answer on my model of 156 ie 932, or other, and oe number for headgasket,,,, also will 932 gasket set ancillary gaskets complement the head replacement routine, ie exhaust gasket, egr etc? As i can buy a full gasket set set for 932 for engine code ar32201, and a seperate oe cylinder head gasket for engine code ar32205? Ive seen gasket sets on ebay with all ancillary gaskets but no cylinder head gasket and wondered why,,, is this a similar issue that im seeing,,,,? Any assistance greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Give Philip at AlfaShop a call ... they sorted my 2.0 bits recently. It's probably the same as the TS engine is pretty similar across all three types.

I think they had to order my head gasket in though ..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking cylinder head off tomorow so at least i can do a walk in to check at gsf during the hols, intrigued to see whats what between the gaskets regard differences, they list one for 27 quid, and in stock,,,,

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
"932" is the Alfa code for a 156. All 156.

Engine code should be on the VIN plate.
(assuming it still has its original engine)

CF2 TS engines used a thick composite gasket.
CF3 TS engines used a thin metal gasket.
At least, that is the case with the 2.0 , I'm assuming the 1.8 follows the same plan...

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
CF2 does have composite gasket ... At least mine does.

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
CF2 does have composite gasket ... At least mine does.
I typed "think" instead of "thick" by mistake... :xmas:

His "51" reg should be a CF3, but could be very late reg CF2 or had its CF3 engine replaced by a CF2.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just dont understand why gsf car parts list a headgasket that spans 00 to 05 and listed as suitable to that registration, cheers dave,,

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
Just dont understand why gsf car parts list a headgasket that spans 00 to 05 and listed as suitable to that registration, cheers dave,,
Because CF3 ran from Sept 2000 until production finished (2005 I think). The plant had changed over to 159 by 2006.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked on docs,,, nnnn05 engine in mine, original,,, why did they go change the engine design? Just a nosey engineer,,,

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
You'd be surprised how many quote the wrong parts and when you complain they just blame the parts suppliers ...

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
mgbglasgow said:
Just don't understand why GSF car parts list a head gasket that spans 00 to 05 and listed as suitable to that registration
You'd be surprised how many quote the wrong parts and when you complain they just blame the parts suppliers ...
But in this case it looks like they are correct.
He has a 2001 car.
GSF are listing the CF3 2000-2005 gasket set.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
But I'd still trust GSF more than some fly-by-night fleabay seller .. :)

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
It doesn't really matter what the reg number was or what the car was originally. So many 156s have had 2nd hand engines fitted, you need to see what is currently fitted and then replace it with the same. If your car needs a composite CF2 type head gasket and you fit a CF3 one then valves will clip the pistons. If you need a CF3 metal gasket and you fit a CF2 composite type then you will be way down on power.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stripped down the head and removed the cams, engine is locked solid,, will keep stripping to get head off and have a look at bores, but seems really, really sick,,,, i could spin it with starter motor when aa man brought it back, but lost all coolant so must have rusted the bores while it was sitting on drive for 7 months,,, would that make sense?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It stank of petrol in coolant expansion tank when i was cranking it on starter,,,, all oil and water has now been drained from car now,,,

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I stripped down the head and removed the cams, engine is locked solid,, will keep stripping to get head off and have a look at bores, but seems really, really sick,,,, i could spin it with starter motor when aa man brought it back, but lost all coolant so must have rusted the bores while it was sitting on drive for 7 months,,, would that make sense?
Yes. When I did mine recently it only took a couple of days to show surface rust where a dribble of coolant ran back into one bore ... so 7 months? You'll probably need a full strip down now ...

Try filling the bores slightly with diesel and leaving it for a day or two. Supposed to help free sticking rings.

And my coolant expansion tank was exactly the same ... which is why I asked if the "sniff test" was as logical as it sounded .. open coolant cap, insert nose and inhale! :surprised:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ta bud, yep got some decent free all poured in with some new engine oil, heres hoping,,, been quoted 30 quid value as scrap!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts