Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a slight problem with my 93 Q4. If I put coolant in the car to the level I think is correct, the light in the check panel is lit.

If I then add more coolant, the light goes out, but when the engine heats up the "filling section" (1/6 of the whole reservoir) of the coolant reservoir gets totally filled up to the cap. Rest of the reservoir stays in normal level. I am a little paranoid about this, because I blew my old (really shot) radiator month ago, and the new one was so expensive so I wouldn't like to do it again. When it did blow it was filled up properly, and when in normal operating temperature, the level was up to the cap.

Which is normal? Should the coolant rise that much when hot?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Sami,

I always make sure the coolant is just visible in the resevoir. I look towards into the filler cap and towards the front of the car, If I can see fluid just behind (or showing through) the first partition of the tank then its ok. As for filling the tank when hot, it shouldn't do that, as it is a pressuirised system. You might want to get a new filler cap as it may not be sealing correctly.

Steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there not minimum and maximum markings on the side of the resevoir. The level should be between these when the water is cold.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would say fill it to the seam in the tank..and only check it when stone cold.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimybob:
i would say fill it to the seam in the tank..and only check it when stone cold.
That is pretty much clear, but IF you check it hot (visually, not opening the cap), Will the cap section be full of coolant or just the same level everywhere in the reservoir?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...could also be the switch - these aren't exactly reliable- my one always stayed on, regardless of the water level.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whilst were on coolant, does anyone know if Alfa's are only meant to have the ready made coolant or can you use the 'just add water' :D type as long as the mixture is correct of course!

I've never understood the difference,no doubt someone will be able to enlighten? A friend who is a very good mechanic is adament that they should have a ready mixed solution?

regards

MAK

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mak

One recommendation seems to be use de-ionised(?) water but this would be at a cost. Others say tapwater is fine, I've used tapwater for years with no problem. After all, coolant is a rust inhibitor.

The only problem is in soft water areas I understand, when the waterways can look like a furry kettle eek!

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i would say that if you need to 'top up' use neat antifreeze.that way it wont be too weak when winter comes.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cooling systems on almost all cars will suffer if you use straight tap water and antifreeze, especially in hard water areas. The water hardness is a measure of the calcium content. The calcium drops out of solution when the water is heated and then cools. Therefore the parts of the engine which cool first get scaled up like a kettle or a washing machine. The limescale can also form flakes in suspension in the water and utterly gum up your water pump impellor blades.

Best option is to empty the cooling system completely, flush it with tap water, drain again and then fill it with a mixture of antifreeze/coolant, and filtered water from something like a Brita filter jobbie. The filter removes the calcium and the heavy metals which help stop corrosion on metal to metal joints.

I have also heard that a product called 'Water Wetter' helps things nicely. It reduces surface tension in water and coolant blends so your engine will run cooler, especially in traffic and when booting it.

The mad scientist departs

Andy

·
Registered
189 Posts
wrinx:

The only problem is in soft water areas I understand, when the waterways can look like a furry kettle eek!

wrinx
Bad news wrinx - Derbyshire is all soft water :(

Good news tho' - hard water is the problem (check your kettle - if it's furry inside you should not use the tap water for the v6 wink )

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I typed hard then changed to soft (cue innuendo's) eek! eek!

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys especially andy mac on this occasion, so buying the ready made coolant from the likes of your main dealer is just the coolant with water already added? Oh and in regard to water wetter, it is excellent for lowering the operating temperature of hot Alfa's Andy, you were relaibly informed and it works a treat, I think Demon Tweaks stock it for those who are interested!

MAK

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sami,
I've had a couple of the floats on the end of the sensor sink for some reason or other. While this was not on a 155 (it was my 75) I think that the float is made of the same stuff. You can repair it by cutting off the old float and jaming on a cork if you are a cheapskate like me or you can just buy a new one! Don't know how much they are though. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts