Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Core" inflation. You read that and you'd say it was the essence, the raw reality. They tinker with CPI instead of RPI to project an apparently rosier view of what our money buys, or more pertinently the switch to CPI made pensions and other State funded payouts increase at a lower rate.

What hacks me off about "core inflation" being trotted out so often is the brackets which always follow it.

In those brackets are the words "excluding food, tobacco, alcohol and energy". Well excuse me, but even if I don't smoke I'd say that all of those categories are pretty "core" to most people's outgoings! Food and energy prices have been rising at quite ridiculous levels but government and companies hide behind spurious official figures when it suits.

Bugs the hell out of me.:mad:

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
It's cobblers. They'll tell you it doesn't matter as long as you always use the same benchmark but it's b*ll*cks. A set of bathroom scales that always came up four stone light would be consistent but I'd still be too fat.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's cobblers. They'll tell you it doesn't matter as long as you always use the same benchmark but it's b*ll*cks. A set of bathroom scales that always came up four stone light would be consistent but I'd still be too fat.
More like it's a set of scales where you always keep one foot on the ground. Like you say, it's bolleaux, you know it says one thing but in reality you're far worse off than it suggests.

G

·
0 Posts
They like to believe we are all to thick to understand :rolleyes:
Be interesting to know when any of them last did the shopping or filled the car up they just don't have a clue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts