Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used copper sheet to make exhaust gaskets for their car???
I am getting sick of using the std ones that fall apart and providing both mating surfaces are flat it would be an inexpensive gasket that you could re use?

K

·
0 Posts
quite a few inlet manifold gaskets are now just steel rather than fibre type ones.
have even mounted turbo's to exhaust manifolds with no gasket, a thin smear of copper grease is all that is needed to seal it as long as the faces are perfcetly flat and soptlessly clean..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, yes i have just obtained a .9mm sheet of copper and will start cutting and drilling to make a set of reusable gaskets.
Will post some photos of how it turned out.

K

·
0 Posts
enough material left over to knock up a few sets and pass them on to fellow boxer members ;)

:D

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Have you tested these yet? Good seal or any leaks?

Stupidly enough last night I threw out an old water boiler that had a tank made from Copper!!!
Just thought afterwards I could have utilized the copper.
(also for my valve amps I build) :rant:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
...plus electrolysis copper-paint for some parts or bolts......
:cry:

It was sitting outside for 4 months and the day after I throw it out I realize it could have been used!!!
Shoot me!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
...plus electrolysis copper-paint for some parts or bolts......
:cry:

It was sitting outside for 4 months and the day after I throw it out I realize it could have been used!!!
Shoot me!

K

·
0 Posts
a copper tank would never get to sit outside over here for 4 months. houses have been broken into and the water pipes taken out to be weighed in for the extreme scrap price of late, a handy big lump like that would get the pound signs going in some locals eyes :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
scooby/ reliant exhaust gaskets fit if you open the holes up slightly, i've been using them yrs, easy to get hold of too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts