Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to top up the coolant on my new 147, however have read that unless using the same coolant that is already in the system, i should flush it out rather than simply top up. is this true if so how the hell do you do it?

·
0 Posts
AFAIK the different colours indicate the differing types, top up with same colur should be OK

To drain in the past I have undone the bottom rad hose, then ran water through the system using a hose in the expansion bottle

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
As I understood it coolant is much of a muchness if its the same colour. I wouldn't worry too much??

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
its this new pink organic stuff that is the problem, when that mixes with old ethanol glycol or whatever it is called it creates a sludge, not nice. THe ethanal is generally blue/green, or occasionally hi-vis lime green, whereas the new stuff is generally pink.

The organic acid stuff has only become widespread in the last couple of years, it should say under the bonnet somewhere what it is filled with.

HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right i have checjed the coolant in the system and it appears to be blue/transparent. so i bought the blue coolant heres hoping for no sludge!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
its this new pink organic stuff that is the problem, when that mixes with old ethanol glycol or whatever it is called it creates a sludge, not nice.
Hmm, I've just topped up the 928 with pink coolant, didn't check what colour the old stuff was. :(
It was serviced last year so maybe ok. Phone call to the garage tomorrow methinks...

R

·
0 Posts
That's why when we go to Italy I buy the Pink paraflu, where else can you get it in England? I think advice on here is sound though, just don't mix the colours! or colors!

R

·
0 Posts
honestly?? I've never seen it in this country except for at the dealers and last year they were selling it in the local Supermarket in Ancona for tuppence ha'penny a litre!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts