Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I went over a pot hole (at a service station). After driving about 3 miles I noticed steam coming out of the bonnet. It turned out that the expansion tank had split. I replaced the tank and since then I have no heater (heater fan works, just doesn't get hot in the car. Although if I turn the heater down to cold, then quickly turn it to hot, it does get warm for a short while). I am not losing water. I have removed the bleed screw from the top of the rad and let the water flow through just to confim no blockage. Has anyone got any idea as to why this is happening. I can drive for 5 minutes and by then the temp gauge is close to max. There is no water/oil mix from the engine so I would guess it's not head gasket. it's a 156 T Spark, on a T plate

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds like waterpump but not sure why it would go then?. Maybe it started going before and it's not got the power to push out any airlocks in system.

Other option is an airlock...

I suggest looking at return pipe on top of reservoir you should have a constant flow of coolant through there with engine running... if you have a flow I would suggest refilling with coolant trying the whole warm up and bleeding procedure.

But if you did overheat TS's don't like it so maybe a small leak from cyl to coolant to make it overheat that quickly so worth getting coolant tested for exhaust gases.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi mate.
I would suggest taking it to any local garage to perform what is called a "sniff test" This basically means a simple test that takes a few minutes whith a special hydrometer that looks like a turkey baster... They will test the coolant in the expansion tank to check if their is any fumes transfering from the engine block to the coolant system thus confirming or eliminating the possibility of head gasket failure. It's usually free to check but some places charge only for the labour of maximum £10 to do this

Next: Lets do some FREE checks to eliminate certain common issues.

What does your temperature guage say? Have you noticed that the normal "warmed up" temperature is lower or higher than usual? 80-90 degrees is normal running for a TS, any lower than that like say... In heavy traffic then you have an issue, any higher and you notice the fans kick in a lot, especially in this cold weather and you have an issue.

When was the thermostat last changed? This has a bearing on the above, they don't last forever. A simple check is to start the engine from cold and if the top radiator hose is hot after just a few minutes then that could be your issue... Bear in mind that a thermostat that is faulty will often by-pass the heater system as it thinks the engine block is still cold!

Have you notice a worsening fuel economy... A givaway sign.

Check the temperature switch connection on the thermostat housing while you are on... A simply dirty connection can cause mayhem an throw the cooling system into disarray...
Even though you have a problem. The cooling sytem is still trying to do its job according to what info the sensors are giving the ECU....

Check the radiator, paying attention to the bottom fins by removing the bottom engine guard and inspecting it thouroughly with a torch..... If the thin WWW fins between the are corroded between the main water channel rails then this can cause an issue and it's time to change that aswell. Radiators often look in very good condition from above and often get overlooked.

It's a good habit and practice to change both the radiator and thermostat at the same time if anything on either is amiss, one can cause the other to fail so it prevents chasing a coolant fault all around the circuit.

I would also suggest lifting the front footwell carpets and check for dampness, thais can be caused by the heater matrix failing although by what you have said about no coolant loss I would doubt this would be the case, but its good practice to check occasionally.

My money would be on a thermostat issue Good luck and let us know what you find:thumbs:

One last thing... Try resetting the heater/aircon controls http://www.alfa156.net/ look under the tips section for aircon tip... A simple proceedure that can reset all the system heater/blower controls. The flaps and valves are electronically motorised controlled and can often get a little confused on their positions, this resets it back to factory status.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up guys. Temp gauge (after around 5 mins) sits just under the red, but will travel into the red if driven for around 15 minutes, and then come out of the red for a while, then back into it and so on

M

·
0 Posts
Stop driving it then or you will be getting HG done... TS's don't like heat

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. Temp gauge (after around 5 mins) sits just under the red, but will travel into the red if driven for around 15 minutes, and then come out of the red for a while, then back into it and so on
In that case... do the check as suggested but also get the waterpump at least checked.... I.e turned by hand to see if its notchy and rough.... It should be smooth and steady;)

Do all this asap of as Mr Mac says... it will cost you big style

1 - 6 of 6 Posts