Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 146ti is running like sh*t* at the minute, im awaiting new coil packs so instead of going for the obligatory sunday run decided to give it a clean and just kick it in... therewithin my problem, within five minutes the temp gauge had gone off the scale and expansion tank had emptied:cry: turned the engine off and let it cool. i released the cap (very slowly) to find the tank refill with air and fluid (mostly air),then within seconds it emptied itself completely back into the system. i let the engine cool some more and then topped the tank up, i then re-started the car and ran it for 15 mins but mysteriously the temp sat just below the 90 deg mark all the time!!!! is the stat on its way out or this a prelude to something more serious??

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
it does sound like the stat may be sticking, but then that would not explain where the water had gone. Is there a leak somewhere and you had an airlock and the sensor was measuring air in the system not water, hence the high temp.

It may also be worth checking the rad as they are prone to crumble away on the 145. Sounds like this summer may be hot, so check your cooling system is in order. The state of the expansion tank cap is crucial as well, P times V over T and all that.

HTH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 4 the reply purple145, the tank is brand new (fitted by the previous owner) when i squeeze the hoses i can feel and hear water moving around the system.. also there is a very slight mixing of oil in the water visible on the filler cap. whats the average price of a cylinder head gasket job on a 2.0 t/s any ideas??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts