Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

The engine cooling fan on my 159 1,9 jtdm is acting strange. It starts running as soon as I start the engine, even on cold engine and 0 deg C outside temp. Shouldn't it be controlled by tempsensors and start and stop depending on engine temperature (water- and oiltemp)?

I have had the check engine light on a few times in the past, the code has been P0480 - Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction, but the engine has run as normal after the next start up and the check engine light has turned of after a couple of days (or when deleting the fault with Fiat ECU Scan). The fault is not active now. I guess its somehow related with the behavior of the cooling fan, but I have not noticed the fan always running in the past.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
I expect the ECU has lost contact with the coolant temperature sensor and (as is normal in those situations) has turned the fan on the save the engine.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Fan will run if AC is engaged, try starting with the AC switched fully off, ie hold down the fan speed button till it says OFF and the temps dissapear

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm with David C on the temp sender. Possible a wire loose or corroded.

If it were the aircon turning on the fans this would happen after a short delay. Usually, the A/C starts up and starts circulating before the system calls for a fan to cool the A/C circuit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if the aircon is OFF the engine cooling fan should also be OFF?
Do you know where this sensor is located?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I doubt it's the A/C turning the fan on if it's 0 degrees outside. A/C is usually disabled below about 3 degrees to prevent the compressor icing up.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Fan on continuously!

On my 159 the fan is on even when the engine is off! Went to get my 2.2 remapped and now the fan won't go off. I've had to disconnect the battery. Presumably the re-mappers can resolve this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've just had mine 2.4 remapped and now the fan stays on. I tried the A/C off trick but the fan continued. It only runs when the engine runs. Another annoying little problem to sort out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts