Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant is meant to be green right? If it is, mine is brown, what is wrong with it? The car overheated the other day aswell. Is there anything wrong with the coolant system or radiator?

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
afaik there is two types, red(ish pink) or green...

chances are you'e got an old red one in your 'tank' that's gone brown with age and internal rust.....

i'm not a mechanic, but i am a alfa owner.. so i may/am/probably wrong on this...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good Flush & replenish with 5yr red would be appropriate - have you checked if your level is ok and if your fan is cutting in ok?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
How hot did it get when it overheated? Was it brown before the overheating episode?

Sometimes, a serious overheat will loosen off all the brown gunge off everything and that's what makes the water look rusty. Kind if like running a really hot wash through the engine. Drain, flush, refill, drain, flush, refill, etc, etc, etc, and you might get back to clean water again. New anti freeze required once you're done, obviously.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Flush & replenish with 5yr red would be appropriate - have you checked if your level is ok and if your fan is cutting in ok?
How hot did it get when it overheated? Was it brown before the overheating episode?

Sometimes, a serious overheat will loosen off all the brown gunge off everything and that's what makes the water look rusty. Kind if like running a really hot wash through the engine. Drain, flush, refill, drain, flush, refill, etc, etc, etc, and you might get back to clean water again. New anti freeze required once you're done, obviously.
@Lesmott - There is way to much, i have no idea why, and the fan cuts in normally, nothing wrong with that

@sprint_veloce - It was going up as high as 110 degrees celsius but fluctuating between 90 and 3/4 mark the whole time. Going fine now.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Red/pink and Blue ... but after time, they change colour. And you should mix colours ...

Rusting is probably a sign that in the past in sufficient coolant/anti-freeze has been used and topped up with plain water. Less anti-rust inhibitor.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Red/pink and Blue ... but after time, they change colour. And you should mix colours ...
Little typo there...!
You should not mix colours!!

BUT, colour is not 100% proof of coolant type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts