Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have only had my V6 Spider for a few weeks, tonight I noticed that my coolant is just water as in clear crystal, not happy with this at all as I am sure this not good, however all has been good as in engine temps etc never going above 90 even in slow moving traffic etc.

Remiss of me not to have noticed this sooner, anyway I will have to drain and refill with proper coolant, is there any recommendations on what I should use and what is approximate capacity.

I should mention I am in Australia here, just coming into summer.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

D

·
0 Posts
Hi

AFAIK capacity of coolant system if just over 9 litres. Doesn't sound like there is any coolant currently in system
and if you are gonna flush it out you can you one of the long life ( OAT, ethylene glycol compatible ) type coolants to save on changes. Not sure what makes you get over there tho.
Try a search for Peak or Prestone

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
At least you don't have the frost and sub-zero temps problem in Oz, as we do here in GB. Not a good sign though, how did it get clear in the first place??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah you will need some proper coolant in there ASAP- it not only protects from freezing, but just as importantly from oxidation/corrosion and build up of deposits in the system. Not good to run without unless as an emergency fillup to get you home.

As long as the system is properly flushed (should be no problem there) you can use pretty much any type of coolant, generlaly in a 50/50 mix but read the pack! Go for a longlife as mentioed above, I use this stuff as get it free at work :thumbs:

http://www.havoline.com/products/la/antifreeze_01.html

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
theres definitely something wrong with mine then, its constantly in the 90s when warm and im up north where its struggling to get above 5 degrees :(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Gaz - should really just sit at 90ºC and go up a bit in traffic until the fan kicks in bringing it back. The gauges are notoriously dodgy though. You could try a temperature probe in the expansion tank (careful!) to see if the gauge is miles off, but if not the most likely prob is that the rad is getting a bit old and missing a bunch of cooling fins. Mine is OK but I can literally peel away the copper fins if I wanted to so sure will need a new one in a couple of years or something!

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
my TS is like that and its never missed a beat but the V6 seems a bit iffy. the water tank gets hot with the engine as i found out the other week so i think the thermo is ok. fans still work. rad seems ok but maybe il see about flushing the system out and starting again, maybe fit a new rad, cant do any harm can it? cheers bigmac, appreciate your input and sorry leeston for thread-jacking! :p

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yeah you will need some proper coolant in there ASAP- it not only protects from freezing, but just as importantly from oxidation/corrosion and build up of deposits in the system. Not good to run without unless as an emergency fillup to get you home.

As long as the system is properly flushed (should be no problem there) you can use pretty much any type of coolant, generlaly in a 50/50 mix but read the pack! Go for a longlife as mentioed above, I use this stuff as get it free at work :thumbs:

Havoline.com: Products: Latin America: Anti Freeze/Coolants
That's great but can you get enough for all of us?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
On a recent 300 mile run on motorways at night mine sat at about 50-70 the whole time. Around town it's always in the 90's or just a little above.

Having asid that the last place I got it serviced recommended me replaceing the rad soon due to rust and corosion.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Haha - would love to guys but I have a feeling questions may be asked when I try to smuggle a 45gallon drum out of the storehouse in my GTV. Kinda need this job...

To be honest Rich it sounds like you need a new thermostat much more than you need a radiator. Duff rads lead to high coolant temp, your symptoms are classic stuck open 'stat.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Haha - would love to guys but I have a feeling questions may be asked when I try to smuggle a 45gallon drum out of the storehouse in my GTV. Kinda need this job...

To be honest Rich it sounds like you need a new thermostat much more than you need a radiator. Duff rads lead to high coolant temp, your symptoms are classic stuck open 'stat.

Thanks BM&C. Shame about the coolant though ;)

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
On a recent 300 mile run on motorways at night mine sat at about 50-70 the whole time. Around town it's always in the 90's or just a little above.

Having asid that the last place I got it serviced recommended me replaceing the rad soon due to rust and corosion.
Sounds like you need a new thermostat as well as a new radiator.

Out of the 11 Alfa's I have owned 8 of them had dodgy thermostats when they came to me, as did both my Fiat Coupes and my Cinquecento sporting.

Must be somthing about Italian thermostats. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts