Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been doing weekly once over, and noticed the coolant tank is all grubby again. It was new 2 years ago and now has the brown muck inside that can't be got to.

The coolant is red long life, but it appears to be a much more orange shade than the fresh stuff from the same mix batch that went in 2 years ago.

I'm assuming the unpleasant stuff is a combination of limescale and corrosion.

I pulled the tank off for a good clean, but the inside is separated into sections so I can't get the muck out.

Not hugely fussed about the appearance of the tank, and will replace it again when I next change the coolant, but this stuff was meant to be good for 5 years. Now at two it appears to be done in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
854 Posts
There's a solvent that you can use. You need to take out the tank, fill it with solvent and rinse it till all of the residue is out.

Suggest that you flush your cooling system too, and change your coolant pipes/radiator if you've got the chance. You don't know whats filling up inside.

I usually add a bottle of Miller's coolant enhancer additive. Helps prevent rusting internally as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When mine got grubby I tried loads of different ideas, best one- filled with wd40 and rock salt, shook for 2 mins, good as new. Nothing else seemed to touch it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done that. Now all grubby after 2 years. Don't fancy replacing it as a service item! Must be a way to get it/keep it clean.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've tried scouring acid in one in the past, even this didn't work, despite the promising bubbles on the storage container sides and lots orange / red warning triangles / diamonds. It was all very disapointing till I poured it out onto a concrete paving slab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts