Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my water pump and all the belts etc.. I have now noticed that there is still a leak from the water pump area and the radiator hoses seem to be a bit hard to squeeze could this all be caused by the coolant reservoir cap over pressurizing the system, or something more sinister??????
:confused: :confused: :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
You'll need to find out exactly where the leak is coming from, could be the water pump seal on the way out.

Hoses go harder when they get old, they also swell up.

Clean everything up and then let the engine run until its hot to spot the leak......or look for signs of crusty coolant. Mine was recently leaking from the coolant cap but it wasn't obvious until it got really bad.

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Daiblack have you got all the air out of the system???????

If there`s an airlock it might be putting extra pressure on the system and this may be causing the hoses to pressurize and the water pump to seep

Try running it from cold (tickin over) with the resevoir cap off and let it warm up till the fan cuts in this will allow the system to clear any blocked air pockets wink

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The leak is from the water pump area, having recently changed the water pump & belts etc... I now have another leak. I changed the pressure cap today and it seems to have helped but I'm going to remove the cam belt cover tommorrow to check it over and clean up any marks that are there, if it doesn't stop leaking alltogether I'll change the water pump O ring.

J

·
0 Posts
dont want to be a doom and gloom merchant but if the system is pressurising as soon as you start up from cold then it may be that your head gasket has gone. These are the same symptoms that I had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Slighty O/T but when filling up wor lass's washer bottle I noticed the hose that comes off the coolant header tank cap does not go anywhere it's just swinging in the breeze

Any ideas chaps ?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
You probably have air in the system still.

Try bleeding it out through the vent screw - usually there's one on the back of the radiator cylinder on the opposite side to where the hoses are.

It's unlikely to be the pressure cap.

Ralf S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts