Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just noticed my coolant is on minimum and I'm due to go away for the week on Monday morning. I've read the handbook and it says to top up with Paraflu UP only but I can't find anywhere that sells it and the Alfa parts departments closed at lunchtime and are shut tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get some from in the West Midlands before Monday? Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much...just top up with water as it's summer ( yes it really is ! ) and no risk of anything freezing up. I think the that book says you need to use de-ionised or distilled water ? Anyway when winter approaches you can get the concentration checked or drain out and replace with new Paraflu.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I'm running a 25% concentration during summer, before winter I empty the header and fill with 100% pure BASF Glysantin G30 (that's what paraflu is), which brings the concentration up again.

This way I renew part of the coolant yearly, and remove contaminated (used) fluid twice per year.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I don't want 50/50 when it's not needed, because you're effectively reducing the cooling performance. The glycol can only hold about half as much heat as water can (for the same temperature rise). You're also increasing the nucleate boiling point, which increases the temperature of the cilinder walls and valve seats - resulting in more wear. The valve seats get significantly hotter, we're talking 50°c easy... Also, you'll end up with a bigger temperature difference between where the coolant enters the engine, and where it exits. Your oil will run warmer aswell. Warmer oil is thinner (both kinematic and absolute viscosity) and oxidises quicker.

None of this is desireable. It's the easiest option, no doubt. But far from the best. Still you could do worse, like running more than 50% coolant.

http://www.oysterquartz.net/BITOG/SAE082807.jpg

those specs are basic, btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts