Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In the past few days my wife's Alfa 155 (1997, 2.0 16v) has been consuming coolant. Not a great amount, about 0.5 litre every 200 miles. I can't find any leaks, there are no other symptons (eg no oil in water, water in oil, temps & pressures all look normal etc). The engine is as sweet as ever.

The car has done 90,000 miles and is covering about 25k a year, hence I really need to find the problem before breakdown. What is the most likely source of the leak?

I suppose it could be the waterpump, but I haven't found any visible signs with the limited access.

Any ideas?

If it is the waterpump - is this a difficult/expensive job?

Best Regards

Mike

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 1994 eight valve had a "coolant loss smell" to it when I got it and it was losing slightly less coolant than your wifes, but.......

I added a bottle of Radweld as I couldn't find the problem. The loss is now cured. Maybe the leak is very small and you can't trace it 'cos of this. When the coolant is hot, the system is under pressure which could force it out as steam and may not leave a trace under the car.

You probably knew all this anyway, but the Radweld sorted it for me.

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I agree with Marlon.
On both my 155 and 156 the garage has reported that the radiator needs replacement (expensive!) due to minor coolant leaks. Try as I might I could not find any leak but the levels were dropping slowly. Radweld did the trick for both cars and in fact both have exceeded another 30K miles since treatment with no coolent loss.

Hurrah for the £3.50 fix!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound good to me - I have potentially found a cheaper fix.

There were signs of coolant residues around the water filler cap. Took it off, cleaned it up and put it back on tight. Haven't lost a drop for a hundred miles, so fingers crossed!

If this does't fix the problem, I'll follow your advice, at least in the first instance

Many Thanks

Mike

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there

I'm having the same prob with my 96 2.0, But what is that Radweld you are talking bout. ??

Kind regards

Niels
Denmark

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Radweld is a product name but I imagine you will have the same thing in denmark under a differnt name. Its a liquid bought from any car shop that repairs small radiator leaks. You can also get a block that you crumble into the car but I dont like that one myself - it looks like greasy sawdust!

Radweld type stuff usually also advertises that it lubricates water pumps!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure Radweld is made by a company called "Holts"

Marlon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Failing which you can resort to the breaking an egg into the radiator while it is cool. Start the engine and the problem should fix itself!

I can feel the condemnations coming now!

Seriously, only do this when your wife is in labour, you have a slight radiator leak and 200 miles more to travel and she is going to name the baby after your best friend if you are not there by the time the umbilical cord is cut!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was about to suggest the egg as a temporary fix myself, so no condemnations from this corner.

Steve

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which are best ????........Battery or Free-Range ???
Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I experienced water loss from 'Pin hole' leaks in the pipework, which only occurred when the cooling system was fully pressurised, hence I never saw water under the car until it got worse.

One was the thin rubber pipe which runs above the back of the inlet manifold.

The other was the metal pipes running to the oil filter housing which had corroded from the inside. The latter was cut off and joined together with a rubber pipe. This didn't affect oil temp at all.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I right in thinking that if you put an egg in the radiator it's poached, but if you put an egg in the oil filler cap, it's fried? wink

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I had to replace the cap once on a 164 you could see it letting steam out under pressure and consequently water loss.(by the way -good joke before!)Alfapat :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Or you could be leaking into a combustion chamber. The indications being a really clean spark plug - comared to the others, and your exhaust gasses being 'steamy' for longer than you'd expect.

Just to give you a worse option to look at. If it's a leaky cap, you can revel in the joy that it wasn't more expensive... or egg spensive.

Sorry...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts