Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m not surprised guys.With these lovely cars everytime you fix something something else goes!
i recently replaced my expansion tank and associated hoses.
I then started getting a gradual coolant loss so much so that i keep a premixed top up solution in my boot.
On investigating further i then found that my passenger side carpets where wet! I deducted that the heater or heater hose was the problem and at the thermostat i brigded the two ends thereby bypassing the heater.I will tackle it in the summer.
I STILL HAVE COOLANT LOSS!
I cannot find any obvious leaks.My clamps are all tight.My temperature gauge operates beyond 90 but the fan kicks in normally...both stages.Its running hotter than normal though for my car.I have not attempted a longer drive up hills etc but the gauge comes right down,50, at speed and climbs steadly around town.

I think i need a waterpump!Remember i have a 3.2.so its a plastic not metal impeller pump.i have not been able to check around the waterpump for leaks.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I replaced my expansion tank I kept the old cap and. Also has some coolant loss changed the cap and all ok now

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
My 145 had coolant loss and the radiator was the culprit.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Radiator is the likely culprit if you can't see the leak. A radiator leak tends to evapourate the water as fast as it leaks so its hard to find.

The aluminium radiators have a limited lifespan, especially if you are at the coast.

I had to replace my 156 radiator at 7 years old/200 000km ish.
And it was originally a joburg car so so the coast had little impact.

A dodgy waterpump will not likely loose water, it will just lead to overheating/difficulty maintaining temperature.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
TN big amounts!i have to fill up after my ND to NKR run.Tank is usually only just wet.In fact i was thinking of just getting the car to you.Regarding keeping the original cap....its not the first time i hear that.....but i cant work out how it works.....that a new cap wold lead to coolant loss.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Normal place for them to leek will be on the sides of the radiator most of the times on the passenger side.
Look for stains where the plastic and metal meat.
My guess will be that the rad needs replacement.
The motor in your car did 40 000km before you bought it so the water pump should be fine and they seldom start leaking the impeller normally stops turning with the shaft resulting in overheating.
The new cap ios probably a blue 1.4bar unit which is higher than what the old caps rating was.
So now you are forcing an old rad to cope with an additional 0.4bar of pressure which result in the rad failing.
If you lose water with the new cap start looking at the rad since it starts pushing out water at the seams at max pressure.
New cap + water loss = get a new rad in most cases.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Worst case if you can't get radiator immediately you can re crimp the side on again carefully with a " water pump pliers " . Yes you read correctly . I have done it a few times on the Alfa and Toyota radiators . Just do it carefully but first obviously check where leak is dripping from to make sure you got correct area .

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
My 145 radiator had leak on passenger side. Thermostat was also faulty. Went to Silverton and was told needed a new radiator. Couldn't source one even at the agents. Upon recommendation, I went to a guy who works out of a container in a dusty, industrialised hub. I make it a point of not judging people or anything by appearances. He removed radiator, sealed 3 pinholes with a special sealant, cleaned cores thoroughly. 2 hours later, car was running perfectly and 6 weeks later everythings fine. Cost R550. This guy also gave me an extensive lesson in radiators without me even asking. Good, old-fashioned service.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Worst case if you can't get radiator immediately you can re crimp the side on again carefully with a " water pump pliers " . Yes you read correctly . I have done it a few times on the Alfa and Toyota radiators . Just do it carefully but first obviously check where leak is dripping from to make sure you got correct area .
yes it can be done a couple of times.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As usual great advice.Thanks team.Will revert to my old cap and sort out the radiator.But team ...could my hjeatre have been blown by the extra pressure due to the new expansion cap?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts