Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

Every time I top my coolant up to the max line, within a few weeks it will drop to the minimum. But then it will stay at the minimum for months without moving before I top it up again.

Any ideas :confused: it doesn't drop any lower after that first initial drop.....

Cheers,:)

AR147

·
Registered
337 Posts
Could be your header tank cap isn't releasing the pressure, therefore, when the coolant heats up the pressure is greater then the weakest seal and leaks out. At the minimum level the pressure may be equalised. I think I have this probelm, just haven't got round to changing the cap.
Have you notices any fluid leak? or expanding coolant line?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats put my mind at rest! thought it might be head gasket....:wow:

No all seems fine, I will have a good look over the weekend!!

If anything, its a bit crystalised around the cap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you live in a hard water area you will scale up you cooling system using tap water. That's what may be causing the crystalisation (also may block your header tank cap).
Mine's blocked cause the heat exchanager by the oil filter cracked so got stacks of oil in the water.
I always top up with de-ionised.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i cant offer any help but just thought i'd say that a similar thing happened with my car when i got it serviced a couple of months ago, after the service, i had to top up the water a little, say less than 200ml but had to do it twice.
I took it back to get them to check for leaks or what not and they said its all fine, possibly the cap wasnt holding pressure any more - and to keep an eye on it for the next few days and maybe get a new cap if it still does this.
its been fine since

1 - 7 of 7 Posts