Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m struggling with the Spider atm, drove back from getting some fuel today to find a coolant in the undertray. I had my radiator replaced less than 3k miles ago and there’s no gunk in the oil or coolant. A hose has rubbed on the air filter housing but it might also be in what looks like a screw or something into the radiator on the bottom right hand side. Please don’t say this is going to be something expensive. I’m at the end of my tether these last 12 months 😔.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive tire White Hood Light Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Coolant level has dropped from just below max to just below min. Have topped up.

think the culprit might be in the attached pic, that cross shaped screw thing?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It could, but also try tightening that hose across it. I had some small leaks after changing the radiator, and just tightening the hose did the trick.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
First of all, don’t panic as it sounds like you’ve found there is a problem before it has got too serious. Start with the easy stuff; check all the hoses are correctly fitted and the jubilee clips etc are correctly fastened/tightened. There is a blanking plug on the rear passenger side of the radiator (early cars had a sensor here, later ones just have a plastic plug; I’ve had one fail but caught it before it overheated and blew the head gasket), check this is tight and the O ring is intact.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I think it is the cross shaped plug you’ve mentioned. Firstly I could hand tighten the plug, but even after doing so once the car was running for five minutes coolant started to leak out of the plug.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nelly this is a stupidly novice question, but if I order a plug from TotallyAlfa, will coolant go everywhere on the drive? Is it just a screw out screw in job?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
As I once got told; there is no such thing as a stupid question. Yes you’ll lose some coolant depending on how quickly you can get the old plug out and put the new one in. Both of mine are due coolant changes and I’ve been trying to find somewhere to get a replacement blanking plug… hadn’t thought of trying TotallyAlfa… that’s a good price for a metal one. The cheapest plastic one I could find is twice that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve just bought one, also videoed the leak as the car started to circulate coolant, it must be that plug. Bubbled out of the top. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As you have had radiator changed it would be best to check tightness of joints, clips, hoses etc as it is not unusual for them to need a tweek due to expansion and contraction and resettling. 🍀🍀🍀🍀

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thing is at some point during a car's age you'll probably consider changing all the coolant hoses before they corrode/wear/go completely brittle.

Question is when that is... I partly want to be doing it to my 156 at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts