Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had coolant leak into the spark plug hole (where the plug goes into the head)? I think there may be a pressed in tube around the spark plug, but I am not sure. I have had a deposit form around the base of the #4 spark plug, and the leaked coolant caused an engine misfire on cold start up which disappeared as the motor warmed up. I have cured the miss with a new sealed spark plug lead, but the leak remains, and I would like to fix it somehow without having to take the head off.
Any chance of pushing in a slightly smaller diameter thin metal tube to try and cover over this leak?:confused:
All suggestions welcome,
Ciao.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi,

I think the source of the leak will be around the coolant reservoir tank.
The thin hose betwen the throttle valve housing and the reservoir tank, and
the thicker hose between the rear side of the coolant pipe union and the
reservoir tank should be checked for signs of leaking.

If the pressure relief valve of the reservoir cap is faulty, that could be
another source of leak. Depending on the manufacturing year there are three
type of this relief caps, two of them incorporates a dump pipe. If the end
of the dump pipe points near the 4th cylinder that could be a problem also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lone Wolf. I have checked all these hoses and the resevoir cap. All are OK and the coolant has good pressure when the motor is warmed up, so the cap is holdng pressure well. I am fairly certain it is a small leak actually inside the spark plug hole itself. I will have a more thorough look at it soon when time permits.

Ciao.

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks Lone Wolf. I have checked all these hoses and the resevoir cap. All are OK and the coolant has good pressure when the motor is warmed up, so the cap is holdng pressure well. I am fairly certain it is a small leak actually inside the spark plug hole itself. I will have a more thorough look at it soon when time permits.

Ciao.
if water is getting to the spark plug hole then chances are it's leaking from the throttle body gasket, there isn't a sleeve as such that goes around the spark plug.
if you have water leaking into that area from beside the plug then you've a craked head:(, but you haven't :D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
According to the picture below there might be a (coolant) sleeve
just above the spark plug of the 4th cylinder. :)
hoses.jpg

But I'm very certain, the throttle body and it's gasket are not located on
the cylinder head on the 1.7 ie models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved!! The hoseclip to the pipe connecting the manifold to the thermostat was loose, seeping coolant into the plug recess. An easy fix but difficult to see and reach. All I have to do now is clean out the gunge in the recess. Thanks to all the helpful pointers from you guys.

As additional info, I have fitted some 147 leather seats into the 33. A simple fit, and sooo comfy. The tan leather is a perfect match for the Rosso Red.

Ciao.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts