Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I bought a used replacement engine from a reputable used car company a long while ago.
The issue is when I got it in my car I could not turn it over more than about 45 degrees then it came to a complete stop. It turned over easily when I changed the cambelt before fitting it. So I have removed the head and found a 5 mm hex bit inside the cylinder #4 causing the stop. I would love to say that I had dropped it in there, but the fact is that I never have owned any Snap-On tools in my life. Until now. :cry:

So after putting a brand new head gasket in, it turned over nicely and started with a huge cloud of white smoke. So much for that quick fix... So it now sucks coolant into cylinder number 4 in an alarming rate.The wife is rather tired of have that "p.o.s" sitting on the drive and the cost isn't really pleasing her either.

So what is my next step to cure this? Any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How do you know it is the cylinder four?

As Haan suggested. There is not much you can do without removing the head. There has to be something wrong either with the gasket or the head might be cracked or the bottom cylinder liner seal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you know it is the cylinder four?
Not that difficult really, I took the spark plug out and there was coolant. No coolant in 5 and 6.

So I'll remove the head and have a look again.

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So head is off and it looks suspiciously OK. I checked the straightness with a steel ruler and I couldn't find anything that was off. Not that I expected anything after 10 minutes of idling.
Is the head gasket for the GTA supposed to be exacly like the one for a 164 24v 3 litre? At least they look the same...

Did I just get the gasket on wrong? Didn't tighten it down the wrong way? What more to check?

motor.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just had the head skimmed and was due to install it when I saw this...
So could a cracked liner cause this?

And how do I fix it?

I am pretty tired of this car now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You will need to replace liner
Sump off
Big end bolts off
Push piston and liner up
Replace liner seal and re fit piston
Torque big end
And rebuild
HTH
Is the crack cylinder 4 or 5?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you've found your culprit
Indeed. So now it's only a case of sourcing a liner. Where might those be available since a quick search of the internet didn't provide much information?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Indeed. So now it's only a case of sourcing a liner. Where might those be available since a quick search of the internet didn't provide much information?
best to locate one secondhand .. try autolusso ... i think 3.0 liners are same size but need a little taken of the bottom to allow the cranks extra throw

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in Sweden just outside Stockholm.
@maxiboy wales: Why a second hand one? The liner seems to be the same for all 3.0/3.2. Where can I read about the differences between 3.0 and 3.2?

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
I'm in Sweden just outside Stockholm.
@maxiboy wales: Why a second hand one? The liner seems to be the same for all 3.0/3.2. Where can I read about the differences between 3.0 and 3.2?
It does need to be a 3.2 liner, unless you want to grind a bit of metal off the bottom of a 3 litre liner. But I would just advise you to find a good second hand 3.2 liner and use that. I don't think I've got any but I could doublecheck.

What happened to the engine to cause a cracked liner??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does need to be a 3.2 liner, unless you want to grind a bit of metal off the bottom of a 3 litre liner. But I would just advise you to find a good second hand 3.2 liner and use that. I don't think I've got any but I could doublecheck.

What happened to the engine to cause a cracked liner??
@Pud237 please do have a look.

I'm not sure what happened as I bought this engine from a Swedish car breaker, but it has been sitting in my storage to long to claim any kind of warranty... So something has happened to it before I bought it or it was the 5mm hex bit found in the number 4 cylinder as in post #1 in this thread that did it.

·
Vendor
45,953 Posts
The hex bit would probably damage the head or the piston but not the liner. Very strange.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts