Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've read several topics on coolant-related procedures for the 166 v6 in here, but none are quite detailed enough for me to do the job.

Could someone who has done it help me with a step by step guide? With details on where to drain, if there are bleed screws to use, procedure for emptying, the lot.

I haven't changed the coolant since buying the car and want to do it as soon as possible.

Cheers!

- Grateful Nyo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys!

I've read several topics on coolant-related procedures for the 166 v6 in here, but none are quite detailed enough for me to do the job.

Could someone who has done it help me with a step by step guide? With details on where to drain, if there are bleed screws to use, procedure for emptying, the lot.

I haven't changed the coolant since buying the car and want to do it as soon as possible.

Cheers!

- Grateful Nyo
I thought I'd follow up on this now that I've taken the plunge and done it. I tried for a while to find a good way to disconnect the hose from the bottom of the radiator, but couldn't get a good angle down there, at least not good enough to get the hose clamp off (and I'm glad I didn't since I had no idea they were one-use).

I followed the hose and found a new connection point close to the engine with a jubilee-clip. Took this off and just bent the rubber hose I was left with (from the radiotor bottom to the engine) down towards the ground to get out as much as I could. Most of the old coolant came from the engine part of the connection, but I got some out through the bottom hose as well. Flushed through from the expansion tank with the garden hose, then closed everything back up and refilled with red coolant (same as before). Waited until next day and filled up again as it had dropped from max to min since the day before. Job done and car behaving nicely :)

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Good job Gotcha.:thumbup:

However I would have replaced the bottom clip with a jubilee. that's what I did with Pomeo (1999) and Lacey (2000) when I had cause to replace their radiators not long after I got them. No drain plugs etc and both hoses on RHS looking from the front. I replaced with a fluorescent yellow/green long life then .

Recently done Tia's. 2004 Facelift. has a drain plug which I do not advise removing due to difficulty replacing. Have done it twice . Once to drain and second after a flush out.

BUT the lower hose is on the LHS and is well higher than drain plug.

Check this re the Antifreeze

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/202495-red-blue-antifreeze-and-leaks.html#post13800082

Was the RED OATS specified for yours?. I cannae see much difference between the 2003 changeover but there you are.

Pomeo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts